Huge lecky bill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i wonder if anyone can bring my pulse rate down a bit, I have received a quarterly bill off NPower for our electric, and the amount owed is £199.86 for the 1/4!!.

Beginning reading was an estimate taken on 24/08/07. .69083.
Customer reading was 70712 on 22/12/07.
first 239 at 15.030p & next 1390 @11.10p.
1629kwh.

can any sparky out there tell me that this is a normal quarterly amount for an 2 bed terrace. . we are very energy conscious, is there any margin for error with these suppliers? i will be contacting them but i wanted advice first. thanks.

Sponsored Links
is it an estimated bill?

they kept doing that to me in my old place,they owed me a nice little bunce in the end!

fingertight, when was the last time you gave them a proper reading? What I'm saying is, if you've had estimates for the last 2 years, its bound to have drifted somewhat.

Do you have an immersion heater? Is it on a timer?

What were your previous quarterly bills?

I take it your electric is standard single tarrif metering.

Hi fingertight, I had similar probs last year..You need to know how much lecky/gas you are using each day/week.I was first sent a letter telling me that they were going to raise my monthly direct debit fro £38 per month to
£50 per month on the Lecky.I rang them up, and after a long conversation agreed to £40 pm, I then read my lecky meter every week. I was using about 140 kwh per week. Then I bought an energy monitor, and found our old freezer was using about 65kwh a week, especilay in the summer!
Got a new freezer, A Rated, anything else needs checking,now steady usage about 80 to 90 kwh per week
monthly direct debit now £27 per week, and I am in credit...will expect a reduction next time.
I have spoken to several people, they all agree its agood idea to read meters every week, but can't be botherd....they just pay up every month,
more fool them...

Sponsored Links
A friend had problems with Npower overcharging so when I moved into my house I made my own meter readings every couple of months to be on the safe side so I could at least give them some readings to show what i'd been using.

Last year I recieved a quarterly bill of £520 :evil: for the summer!

I told Npower that I lived in a two bed terrace and that the heating and cooking was all gas but they still wouldn't have it until I gave them some meter readings. They said thay would look into it and later adjusted it to £98.

I've no idea where the intial figure came from but they said that there must have been some sort of mistake with the meter reading bloke who comes round. Changed to another electric supplier after this incident though!

thanks guys, my appliances are a rated and we dont waste the electric, from your comments i think i will look at switching supplier and keeping a record of the weekly usage, and transferring to direct debit. thanks again for all your help!

what does your meter read?

if it's close to what the "customer reading" says then it's right.. they have been grossly underestimating your useage if the last estimated reading was 1600kwh's down on this times actual..

FT, bear in mind that according to your dates of meter readings/estimates, the period is four months therefore a third of the year not a quarter. 120 days.

The average domestic consumer in England & Wales used 4079 kWh in 2005.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back