my gas meter is irratic and sky high bills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So here's my story I moved into my property bungalow built in 1968 brick construction most internal walls are brick. I received my first gas bill as an estimate from previous owners consumption and itbwas astronomical so called scottishgas and gave true readings the bill I received I still thought was high so spoke with a few people and had a couple of companies out to.look atbtge heating system both said that the wosctier system was good back in its daybeds good but getting a new combi boiler installed would make significant drop in bills so got a valiant installed but bills are still massive. What're the chances of my gas meter being off its the original 1968 item. My bill over Xmas quarter was nearly 600 and I wasn't keeping it.on constant just when I needed it then this quarter it was 400 and I've used it sparingly.
TTinight I switched the heating on checked the meter and noticed the dial speeding up and slowing down???? So I timed each quarter of the dials rotation and 1st quarter 22 secs 2nd 29secs 3rd 33secs and 4th 22secs so yes it wasn't a consistent rotation. Once the heating was up to temp I retimed the rotation on the meter 1st 24secs 2nd 32secs 3rd 34secs and 4th 27 secs is this how a meter normally behaves?????

Any advise would be most appreciated!!!!

Sponsored Links
You seem to be complaining about your gas consumption and then looking at the electricity meter.

I know that you are in Scotland but most fuel bills are about £1400 per annum with the majority of that being during the winter months.

Tony

1968 METER would have dials Agile and not figures.
Older meter tend to be in customers favour this is why they get changed every 20 years on average yours appears to have slipped through the net

Greig, you can, of you wish, have the meter removed and indepemantly tested. However, you have to pay a fee which is refundable if found in your favour.

As 112 suggests, your meter should have been changed by now. The old bellows type meter would suffer stretching of the bellows, but this would result in under reading rather than over.

Sponsored Links
What's your insulation like?
No point fitting a new boiler without upgrading insulation.

I did wonder if it was the test dial on a gas meter but the consumption would have needed to be very low with the rotation times he was quoting.

Nor does he identify which of the several possible dials he was timing.

But he does not seem to realise his Vaillant boiler modulates and so the consumption will not be constant.

Tony

noticed the dial speeding up and slowing down

Perhaps you have a modern boiler which modulates flame size (and hence gas usage) according to demand. You may notice the boiler noise varies when it is doing that, and it may have a flame size or power output indicator.

Mine fluctuates most noticeably shortly after starting up, when cold or warm water is flowing back to the boiler varying with pipe length to the cylinder and various radiators. I have an Alpha pump which also turns its speed up and down at whim.

I don't know how many cubic metres or cubic feet of gas you use per year; or what temperature your room stat is set to; or how well your home is insulated. I don't know if your 600 and 400 refer to meter readings or pounds.

edit
too slow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back