water meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , i moved into my property 3yrs ago , it already had a water meter , i have been happy with it up until recently , all my bills have been fair , £99 a quarter , 3bd house , no bath shower only , 2 adults ,
however my last bill was £175.14 , this is for 3months , now ive done a ccheck and turned my water off and waited all night to check readings , its fine , havent moved , there is supposed to be another check i can make i was told to make sure all taps are off ect and take reading of red digits and then fill 1 litre jug and the digits should rotate once ,
well i have 4 red digits , so which one should rotate ?
i have told anglian water but they were not helpful at all , theres no way i could had used this amount of water , its nearly double ,, i have checked everywhere for leaks ,
Also , do anyone know how i could get anglian water to remove the meter , is there any legal way as my neigbours have same house , 4 adults , a bath , and theres is less per annum even before this massive bill
Help , A very irate mother xx

Sponsored Links
Hi , i moved into my property 3yrs ago , it already had a water meter , i have been happy with it up until recently , all my bills have been fair , £99 a quarter , 3bd house , no bath shower only , 2 adults ,
however my last bill was £175.14 , this is for 3months , now ive done a ccheck and turned my water off and waited all night to check readings , its fine , havent moved , there is supposed to be another check i can make i was told to make sure all taps are off ect and take reading of red digits and then fill 1 litre jug and the digits should rotate once ,
i have told anglian water but they were not helpful at all , theres no way i could had used this amount of water , its nearly double ,, i have checked everywhere for leaks ,
Also , do anyone know how i could get anglian water to remove the meter , is there any legal way as my neigbours have same house , 4 adults , a bath , and theres is less per annum even before this massive bill
Help , A very irate mother xx

Short of digging a well, collecting water from your roof, installing sprinklers and tapping into them (!) or bribing next door for a hose connection (which is probably a criminal offence) I think you're stuck with it. Is there anything you can reduce - eg creating a 'garden watering' pond from your drainpipes and a portable pump?

Water meters do break after a few years, so it could be worth asking for a check, or running a known amount of water and seeing if the meter reads correctly.

Usually they will only take them out for about 6 months after install.

The law was set up to force meters to be installed over time regardless of whether people end up wanting them or not, and it is working.

This one especially catches Landlords, as tenants have an explicit right to install a meter, and many do so without informing LL.

Ferdinand

heeelllooo and welcome madeline1968 :D :D :D

are they all actual readings is the present one an actual reading ??
i am a low user i bath 2 times a week with daily cold washes my 21 year old son showers at least 5 times a week we dont have a dish washer but use a washing machine about 2 times a week and i would be horrified by 99 a quarter i was £10 a month last year and around £11 this year and most off my water is standing charges as in £132 bill total for the year = 33c.u.m. at £1.75= £57.75 the remaining £64 is the charges
if i doubled my consumption to 66c.u.m. my bill would be £190 or half your consumption
now of course charge vary in different areas but by you normal charges you are using about 100 tons off water and by you upped bill you are using around 250 tones each ton =1000L so 100= 100000L so your normal consumption is 300L a day or higher use is about 700L

well i am concerned about the higher bill and as i cannot find a fault myself anglian water do not seem interested, i have a shower daily, my daughter every other day , we do have washing machine , i use that every other day , we dont have dishwasher , so i am confused ,
Thanks for your response , hey running a hose pipe from next door , hmmmm theres an idea , is that really illegal xx

Sponsored Links
now ive done a ccheck and turned my water off and waited all night to check readings , its fine , havent moved
That just proves there isn't a leak between your meter and stopcock.
If you have turned the water off at the meter, it proves nothing.

there is supposed to be another check i can make i was told to make sure all taps are off ect and take reading of red digits and then fill 1 litre jug and the digits should rotate once ,
The 3rd digit, which should represent 1 litre.
However this only proves the meter is correctly recording the amount of water passing.

Check the meter reading, then go out for the day. When you return, the reading should be the same.
If not, there is a leak somewhere in your property.

have checked everywhere for leaks
Even under the floors?
In the loft?
Toilets which continuously trickle water down the pan due to a faulty flush mechanism?
Toilets and other water storage tanks which overflow into places which are not obvious, such as into the bath, down the back of the toilet pan, outside into flowerbeds, into the gutters?
Dripping taps both inside and out?
Neighbours using your outside tap to wash their car / water the garden.
Washing machine with a leaking hose?
Boiler or heating system with a filling loop left open or leaking, which will pour water away into a drain somewhere?
Monobloc mixer tap leaking from the base, so a thin stream of water flows down the back of it and straight into the sink?

Also , do anyone know how i could get anglian water to remove the meter
Far as I know, you can't have it removed.

the only person that can have a meter removed is the one iniciating the meter
that is the person who has an un metered supply who want to check if metering is cheaper
they can can have the meter readings disregarded if they are better off without metered but subsequent new tennants/owners by law in most areas must be metered

i for years did not want metering incase when i sold my house the young family would loose out

then 2 years ago new occupiers where required by law to have meters fitted so my not having a meter fitted was no longer applicable so had one fitted

my bills more than halved when i had a meter fitted
i was initially anal by saving bath water in 3L milk bottles to top up the toilet for flushing
i gradually worked out the effort and time was 1p a flush for 6L or 12p for the 75L for the bath water

i decided the 25p a week was not worth the untidy display off bottles or the effort to decant or fill hence the extra £1 a month above

all my bills have been fair , £99 a quarter, ... however my last bill was £175.14
Do the bills say they are based on Actual or Estimated Readings?

What are the start and end readings for each bill?

3bd house , no bath shower only , 2 adults
Typical consumption is 160 litres per person per day, so over 90 days you should use about 160 x 2 x 90 = 28,800 litres or 28.8 cubic metres

i have 4 red digits , so which one should rotate?
The right hand black number is 1000 litres per number or 1 cubic metre. The third red number is one litre oer division and the fourth red number is therefore one litre per revolution.

1234.5679 means 1234 cubic metres and 567.9 litres.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back