Gas bills are MORE after a complete system install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, im not sure if im way off the mark here as im the end customer and not a plumber etc but let me explain.

four months ago i replaced an ageing central heating system ie back boiler and immersion heater for a Baxi Combi Boiler Duo Tec which now sits nicely in my loft.

I was under the impression that this would help reduce my gas bills as well as do my bit for the environment.

It was fitted in November 06 which conviniently is when one of my quarter starts for my gas bill, hoorha i thought as id have the chance to see the savings on the next bill.

So when i got my bill through at the end of Feb for the quarter Nov - Jan it was an estimated £200 on my previous old system for the quarter. So i called the bas board and gave them the correct meter reading from the gas box outside and they then sent me a correct reading bill.

Imagine my shock when my gas bill was £40 more for the quarter using my new system rather than the older back boiler and immersion?

Im now confused as i was under the impression this surely should be lower?

My gas usage hadnt changed at all as i keep the same timings as i had on the old system so i cant work this out.

I know i should see some savings in the electric bills as the immersion isnt heating the water but surely that shouldnt then mean an extra £40 a month to heat water?

Is this expected or should i be seeing some savings? Can someone please explain?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You sound as if you are comparing £££££££s.

You are aware of large price rises over the last year?

Compare the cu metres of gas used please for an equally cold winter.

Also, is your house equally cold, or is it warmer with the new system?

Check against previous bills as in units used ,not on money as gas has gone up in price a fair wack in the last year

Sponsored Links
Well the original bill was an estimated useage based on the previous months useage.

But regardless of all this shouldnt i use LESS gas now with this system, is this the case?

If so then i need to speak to my gas supplier.

Dont get me wrong im not penny pinching i just exptected my gas bills to be cheaper with this new system, the other one was 18 years old so surely used more gas than this system?

The house is certainly much warmer with this system, the other one was way out and struggled to heat the house at best of times, therefore it was on for longer periods of time.

so the bottom line is im not actually using less gas with this system? Just a warmer house?

I thought condensing boilers were more efficient?

Oh well i suppose i need to check the amount of gas used compared to the same quarter last year eh?

Thanks anyway for your help all!

Well that seems the most logical thing to do, checkin against an old bill . :rolleyes:

if you keep your bills
look back through your bills untill you can locate 2 bills that are actual readings not "c" or "e" which is estimate or customers estimate from the same time on 2 consecutive years to give you your yearly consuption

if the days concerned arnt exact 275 or 377 for example just divide the total units used by the 275 or 377 in this case and multiply by 365
that should put your unit consumption within 5 percent of actual

you can also keep a tally on a weekly basis that will tell you how many units you are using

howy1 said:
Maybe as a lot of people think , new technology is a con !
Agreed ..Thats why you have to have 22mm gas supply so they burn loads of gas to supply the hot water. bloody gas guzzlers they are a bit like chelsea tractors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back