Massive gas bill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all . Been in my house about a year now and my gas bills are massive so if i give you all the details maybe some of you could tell me if this is the sort of money i should be paying or if i have meter or boiler probs

cheers in advance
Supplier powergen
4 bedroom house
11 radiators
thermostat set at 19 ish
heating on 11hrs per day
water on 2.5 hours per day
glowworm hideaway 40 or 50 circa 1992 ish (seen better days)

Gas bill just recieved 29 nov - 2 march £364 before vat, 12576 kwh used.

Sponsored Links
yes sounds ok to me.....mine was 7800kWh over a similar calendar period, but with about 7 hours heating usage and hot water off a fairly crap combi.

Mine cost me 188 quid though through EBICo, so you are paying about 20% more per kWh. Best to leave switching supplier though until the current round of price cuts has finished. check out moneysavingexpert.com for guidance.

Cavity wall and roof insulation will make a big difference and pay for themselves in less than 5 years.

So you reckon its about right (i must be getting tight ), would a newer more economic boiler help ? is my boiler man enough for the job with the amount of rads i have?

My old house was a new build and albeit smaller £40 a month covered gas and electricity :eek:

Sponsored Links
Heating on 11Hrs a day :rolleyes:

Blinking hell. :eek:

Invest in some thermals for the family and turn the stat down a couple of degrees.

That what i keep telling the mrs, Im beginning to sound like my dad :LOL:

Just a thought but...!
Does the meter read in feet or metres?
If it's reading feet and they are charging in metres you'll be paying 3 times too much!!
...though that would would probably make your bill too low - dividing by three that is!!
Like I said, just a thought.

Errm
12576 kwh about 100 days
125kwH per day
(Boiler input say 60000 = 17.5 kW)
That's your boiler on & firing about 7 hours per day

Insulate
TRV's in bedrooms
Programmable thermostat - you only need 17-18 if people are moving about, let it go a bit higher when you're sat watching telly.

boilerbeasty said:
...Cavity wall and roof insulation will make a big difference and pay for themselves in less than 5 years.

iagree.gif

How thick is yours?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back