Humming/buzzing speaker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all , can you enlighten at all , i have a sony home theatre system
HT-FS3 and the issue is that the left hand speaker (SS-FS3) just hums so you have the main box and right hand speaker giving sound with a hum in the background from the left hand speaker so i have unpluged this speaker.
I phoned sony and they just said take the whole system to the repairers ?
Is this nessacary ? and what expense do you think i might incurr
thanks for any info .. howy

Sponsored Links
is it an all in one system, or one with seperate DVD/audio sources.
If the former, probably a trip to the menders.
If the latter, unplug the sources one by one, a dodgy interconnect can cause hums.

Hi thanks for reply it is the left hand speaker output from the system as i tryed swapping speakers round and the right hand one wouldnt work on that output , what are the menders ? cheers howy

Sponsored Links
Try a couple of loops of the speaker cable on a clip on ferrite core, as close to the speaker as you can. This will isolate any picked up EMF's from your speakers, also buy a filtered socket so any mains carried noise is not transferred to your system.
What you are describing is sadly VERY common, it's often a switch mode power supply that causes it, but it can be especially difficult to eliminate if someone is using one of those horror stories known as a PLT any where near you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back