Humming in heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone help.

I have constant, really irksome humming (like a helicopter in the distance) from central (District) Heating. It's a council flat, so I won't be tinkering with it myself. The council workmen say they can't do anything about it, which is maybe true, but I think they should send out for somebody who can.

Any ideas for what to do are going to need to come from me, so I'd be really grateful for any suggestions.

The noise is 24 hours. My heating connects to the district heating via an interface unit, and most of the noise seems to come from there, but it continues even when my heating is turned off. The maintenance men think it's the central pump, and they said they had turned it down, but if they did it hasn't helped too much.

The pipe work goes from the loft space, through the interface unit in my flat to the flat downstairs. I think when the old boy downstairs switches his heating off the noise stops, but I can't get much information out of him - I think he doesn't want the disturbance of work being done, or something.

I can't believe that in this day & age there doesn't exist a solution to the problem.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
There might be a solution but before that can be found it is necessary to find out what is causing this noise.

I suppose you are one of those people who lives in total silence with no radio, TV or screaming kids so that you can concentrate on listening to the noise!

Tony

Do the radiators in your flats have Thermostatic radiator valves on the radiators ?

Sponsored Links
The noise is 24 hours. My heating connects to the district heating via an interface unit, and most of the noise seems to come from there, but it continues even when my heating is turned off. The maintenance men think it's the central pump, and they said they had turned it down, but if they did it hasn't helped too much.

Thanks!!

Seems to be unlikely to be the TRVs based on what he has said, Ian.

Hi again Ian,

You may be onto something. No thermostatic valves in my flat, but apparently they should have been fitted around 18 months ago, before I moved in, so quite likely downstairs does have them. As I said, the noise seems to be on when the heating downstairs is on ( nearly always ) so there could be a connection at that.

Do you know of anything that could be done to the valves to stop the racket?

Thanks again

They need to be in the correct direction and on a normal system a bypass is needed. That is probably already provided by the communal system.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back