HW but no CH - Central Heating Problem

People like Sanitorium do make it very difficult for us professionals!

He is presumably a DIYer and tells everyone here that a pump costs £20 and "is a doddle to fit".

The reality of the situation is that a Grunfos 15-50 ( the smaller power pump ) costs over £50 to buy at the trade price in a typical plumbers merchant.

As to being a doddle to fit, I agree that a FEW are, but many are seriously corroded and we often end up having to drain the system and replace the pump valves as well.

Furthermore, many of the pumps a professional gets called to are those a DIYer has failed to change.

Most professionals do a good job at a reasonable price but that kind of irresponsible posting is very unhelpful to us.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I have toggled between the auto and manual setting on the Honeywell valve but my CH has not come on today

I asked a guy at a plumbers shop , he said it sounds like the valve has had it...

I am told by setting the valve lever to 'manual' then it CH should work , but i am not seeing any results when i do this

Agile said:
People like Sanitorium do make it very difficult for us professionals!

He is presumably a DIYer and tells everyone here that a pump costs £20 and "is a doddle to fit".

The reality of the situation is that a Grunfos 15-50 ( the smaller power pump ) costs over £50 to buy at the trade price in a typical plumbers merchant.

As to being a doddle to fit, I agree that a FEW are, but many are seriously corroded and we often end up having to drain the system and replace the pump valves as well.

Furthermore, many of the pumps a professional gets called to are those a DIYer has failed to change.

Most professionals do a good job at a reasonable price but that kind of irresponsible posting is very unhelpful to us.

Tony

Apologies Tony, you're quite correct, the pump was indeed circa £50, and yes I am a DIY-er.

I was trying to be helpful as the problem sounded like an issue I had around a year ago, that you kind folks helped me resolve. Using your help I did change the pump myself, and found it pretty easy to do.

I shall keep my trap shut, excepting where asking for advice, in future.

Sponsored Links
sometime the enternal workings of the motorised valve can become jam through a bit of grit or slug so u wont get any heat coming through it even if u turn the lever to manual,i would suggert a new valve.

Thanks everyone for your help....I will be getting the valve replaced this week....will let you all know the outcome...

When I experienced the same problem and realized CH was only on when HW was on, I removed the actuator head from the valve so I could observe it turning to the various positions as I tried HW, HW/CH and CH.
You can do this regardless of the position you have left the spindle at.
I noticed the quadrant moved the full amount so the motor seemed ok. I tested the spindle for stiffness and that seemed ok. I finally tested the orange wire from the head to see if there was the required voltage and this test failed.
This strongly indicated that the pcb components were at fault.
A replacement head ACT322 was purchased (£38.00) and took about 30 mins to fit.
Original head dismantled and fault found to be one of the micro switches which has since been repaired. This head was tested using a home made test rig and functioned correctly (although not fitted to valve spindle).
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

All

I had a new valve fitted and my CH is now working fine....although i do have a couple of rads that are cold after the system was flushed out and filled up again, but thats another story...

Thanks to every one who took the time to read and advise...I knew what the problem was with everyones help before getting someone in to replace it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back