HW cylinder constantly "draining" and being replac

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a hot water cylinder in my utility room. Hot water was switched to continuous so have only noticed this when I changed it to twice a day and ended up with no hot water. It seems the cylinder is constantly emptying itself (and therefore being topped up constantly with cold water.)

I'm really a bit clueless and will have to get somebody out but after a bad MOT I'm just dreading what is going to need done so looking for any likely causes so that I know whether it's likely to be a big job or not. Photos of cylinder attached and can take more if needed. I've indicated where water is constantly flowing out. It's visible here.

Go easy on the terminology with me! I've no idea what most of these pipes and things are. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
That is a copper unvented cylinder.

Whoever works on it must hold valid G3 qualifications.

It might just be the white round vessel above the cylinder needing recharging/replacing.

Although the age of the unit might also mean that the pressure regulating valve or one of the pressure relief valves is guffed.

None of which are major jobs once identified by the professional, although finding a new regulating valve might be fun (need to look more closely at the pictures).

Sponsored Links
Sorry - quick followup if I can. Would any of the problems you suggested also affect the pressure at the boiler? I have lost around half a bar in two day and it seems a bit of a coincidence. But I thought that pressure only really related to the radiator circuit of things and not the hot water.

Not directly.

As you said, the gauge under the red vessel is purely to do with rads.

Follow the 15mm pipe from the red capped valve under the vessel and see if there is water coming from the terminus of that.

Out of the house just now but will look tomorrow morning. It was the gauge on the boiler that has dropped. It's in the garage on the opposite wall to the hot water cylinder. Not actually paid much attention to the one at the red vessel to be honest so not sure if it has moved.

Things seem to be fairly stable with the pressure now. I think maybe things got confused with bleeding radiators and things all at a similar time. Finally getting plumber out tonight to take a look. He said on phone it sounded like coil was gone in cylinder although he's not seen anything yet. Does that sound feasible? I'm not really looking forward to having to replace the cylinder right now so I'm really hoping it's not that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back