HW only when CH is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a problem whereby my hot water only seems to get truly hot when the CH is on (and takes longer than it should). Following the boiler troubleshooting guide & looking through the forums it seems like this may be an issue with the 3-way valve. I have a Potterton Profile boiler. The 3-way valve is a Honeywell V4073A1088 (i.e. the 28mm version). When HW only is selected on the programmer, the inlet pipework to the cylinder gets hot, but the outlet does not get very warm (suggests flow is restricted in the feed to the cylinder by the 3-way valve?). From what I read, the problem could be that the valve is stuck.
What is the best (& easiest!) way to check what needs to be replaced - it's not cost driven really, just would rather not have to drain down to change the whole valve :) i.e. just change the motor/actuator?

Thanks in anticipation

Lozza

Sponsored Links
with hw on only. check the lever on the end of the valve, push it across is it loose or has it resistance on it ?

have you a gate valve fitted on the return pipe from the cylinder ?

with hw on only. check the lever on the end of the valve, push it across is it loose or has it resistance on it ?

have you a gate valve fitted on the return pipe from the cylinder ?

Hi, no resistence when pushing the lever back and forth.
No gate valve fitted on the return to the boiler.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Drain and replace, a clean may help but only for a short while.
Add inhibitor when done - may even need a clean before you change the valve.

Drain and replace, a clean may help but only for a short while.
Add inhibitor when done - may even need a clean before you change the valve.

Was afraid of that... Thanks guys. One for the weekend. At least it's getting warmer now :)

Lozza

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back