HW only with CH on - inherited potterton system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi friends ..
Im currently spending the weekend with my brother who's recent house purchase also included what appears to be a gravity fed single loop boiler system ..and being unfamilliar with this setup ..I figured you guys might be able to point me in the right direction..
It appears the system is a single loop which is fed from a potterton boiler which has been installed recently-ish when a baxi was removed..
The ch loop is diverted through a helical coil inside the hw storage tank and the flow is controlled with two motorised valves..
The storage tank also has a thermostat strapped to its body ....and also has an alternative heat source (immersion element).
His problem appears to be electrical.
Basically the contoller on the wall can select HW&CH or HW / CH inedpendantly but he can only get Hot Water when the Heating is on..
Selecting HW on the controler (Sunvic SP50) lights up the indicator but the boiler simply doesn't fire up ..
In CH mode the boiler starts without a problem ..
There is no room stat in the system ....each rad being fitted with a TRV and the boiler 'efficiency' is set to max..

Can anyone point us in the right direction with this ..as he currently has to use the immersion heater whenever the heating isn't required..
rgds
Keith

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the speedy reply Kev ..and pointing me to the correct plan..
rgds
Keith

check the clock it may have been left on 10 programmes rather than16 recent upgrade maybe old clock set for old sys gravity h/w otherwise out with the neon/multi meter and find the culprit

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot for the help ..
..as usual ..very speedy and most useful info..
Fault traced to faulty switch on the motorised HW valve ...
It physically moves (motor ok) but the microswitch was permanently open circuit ...hence no power to start the boiler in HW mode..
cheers ;)
Keith

:LOL: :cry: :cry: :cry: :LOL: :LOL: :cry: tears of joy kev and we did not make a penny or rip anyone off

deadhorse.gif
with him mate :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back