I did a PIR the other day.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is on a small-ish caravan/camping park.

The supply into the 'board' is the central SWA with the shroud half way down the sheath. This is a 10mm 3 core SWA, which is bodged into a feed in a barn some 100m away. The barn is fed with 4mm T+E on a 30amp 3036 rewireable, which has been bodged with some copper wire to stop it blowing.

The wylex 60amp Sw-fuse is feeding a shop. The shop has a run of 16mm 3 core SWA. Approx 40m. See the bottom pic of the shop CU.

The little two way CU is feeding a couple rows of hookups. You can't see the outgoing SWA's in the pic, but they are not glanded either. They are 4 and 6mm SWA's, running approx 50m, and feeding 6 hookups each.

Surprisingly this box is now a little tidier - there where a few more bodged SWA's in there last week which have since been removed.

Click for a larger photo:

I know the pic is poor (camera phone). There are a couple 40amp MCB's on ring circuits in this board due to heavy loading in the kitchen takeaway.

Click for a larger photo:

Sponsored Links
I'm surprised they didn't have massive problems with volt drop and/or overloading on the supply to the barn, at least. Or is that what prompted the PIR?

There is actually a new supply due to go in now as they did have issues with volt drop.

The barn was blowing fuses constantly apparently, and this is why the fuse was bodged with some copper wire.

It is a very difficult situation. The owner knows he needs to do something, and this is why we are on site. He does however still like to make 'suggestions' which tend to be of the 'bodge' variety.

Sponsored Links
FGS be careful. Never trust anyone or anything on a site like this.

Just so I've read this correctly, you're saying there is:

supply coming from somewhere
|
| 4mm T+E
|
Barn
|
| 100m of 10mm SWA
|
'board'
|
| 40m of 16mm SWA
|
shop with a take-away kitchen!

:eek:

Did you measure the voltage at the shop whilst the kitchen was in use?

Thats exactly it.

The site is not open at the moment, so no.

The loop values are appalling too.

They think that if they ignore the laws of physics because they are inconvenient then somehow they won't be bound by them....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back