I found a water tank in the loft (with water)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved in to a bungalow that was built in the 30's and has very little done to it in that time.

Last night I was having a rummage around the loft and I discovered that the old water tank that I could see from the hatch does indeed have a lot of water in it. I pushed the ball cock down a bit and fresh water came in. The outlet pipe (at the bottom of the tank, there is an overflow at the top) appears to go off towards the kitchen.

My wife ran all the cold taps in succession, but nothing took water from this tank. She flushed the loo too, still no take. And put the central heating on, also no take.

The feed pipe disappears through the ceiling in close proimity to the stopcock downstairs. I can gauge this based on the relative position of the chimney stack. Also, this pipe has a t-junction in the loft before it gets to the tank where it then goes off to the kitchen area.

Not sure what the tank is actually for though? It does have another pipe feeding it: this comes from the kitchen area and arches over the tank as if it's an overflow/expansion return type arrangement.

The combi boiler is in the kitchen. There was a separate, small, and disused tank above the kitchen - the electrician said this was once an expansion tank for the heating.

The radiators are on a one pipe system.

I did notice that when we turned off the cold water (at the stop cock) to fit some new pipework for the dishwasher that actually the pipe's flow would reduce to a dribble quickly, but then dribble forever more (it seemed). In the end we lifted the horizontal pipe up a bit and quickly soldered the new piece that we had already fitted with a t-section and stoptaps. Maybe the dribbling was this tank draining down??

Sponsored Links
tie up the ball valve, and see if (1) the water level goes down (2) anything stops working.

If not you can cut off the supply, drain and remove (an angle grinder will make short work of the tankl and pipes, but beware sparks)

As you have a combi, I take it that there is no longer a hot water cylinder, or any bathroom taps fed from the tank.

it ought to be drained as it may go stagnant and harbour wildlife.

p.s. the dribbling supply pipe will not have been the tank draining, but it may have been the pipework running up to the ball-valve.

the supply pipe that goes into the loft may feed a branch that goes to the bathroom or shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back