I have a leak in my new central heating system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just put the new carpets down and the flat looks absolutely beautiful. HOWEVER! For 2 week the central heating has worked fine with no presure loss, but just recently i've started to loose presure on the boiler. Approximately 1 bar in one day!!
I own the flat below which has a suspended ceiling so in theory a damp patch is going to take a while to penetrate through two ceilings.
I don't want to go through each room lifting the carpets and floor boards until I find the leak as this will just make a mess.
It definitely isn't a fault pressure release valve on the boiler.
How do i find a presumably large damp patch which I can't see. :?:

Sponsored Links
you might have mico leaks from your rad valves where the water evaporates before you can see a leak, i normally paste the valves when installing to curb this happening, i can take some time to see this but if you keep an eye on the pipe work and look for wight steins appearing. depending on the size of the system, it can only be a cup full of water to lose a bar, hope this helps dave

Sponsored Links
A domestic boiler is supposed to have about 1.5 bar of pressure right?
considering my circumstances what does everyone think the best way to fix this is?
I though 1 bar in a day was quite a lot especially as I don't want to have to keep filling it up!

Thats about 2-3 litres!

Have you put a bag over the PRV vent to see if its leaking?

Tony

This morning i filled the system to a pressure of 1 bar. I've closed the 2 central heating ballvalves at the bottom of the boiler.

If when I go home tonight and check the pressure, there's pressure loss, would that mean the leak is within the boiler (i.e. prv) or am I barking up the wrong tree?

could be the the PRV or the heat exchanger leaking internally and its running down the condensate drain.

Bag over the PRV and then disconnect the condesate from the bottom of the boiler and put a bucket under it, DO NOT run the boiler like this though!!!!

signs of water in either will show you where its from!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back