Finding a central heating leak causing pressure loss at boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having recently spent hours looking for a tiny leak in our Combi based pressurised central heating system, I thought I would pass on this tip for anyone else experiencing pressure losses.

For less than £6 on eBay you can buy a moisture (damp) meter which can be pushed into carpets around pipes and display the percentage moisture present.

In our case there was a tiny leak from the back of a joint fitted to the hall radiator. Water was dripping occasionally, passing through the carpet into the underlay leaving no mark or stain whatsoever on the carpet. The damp meter displayed 43% moisture all around the offending pipe when pushed through the carpet into the underlay! The readings everywhere else in the house are between 0 and 5%.

I didn't actually buy the meter for this purpose but it proved invaluable in tracing the leak!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back