Substantial loss of pressure in central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pressure in my central heating system drops very fast (at the rate of 1 bar every 3 or 4 days), which requires me to top it up. The rate of loss seems to be higher when the heating is on for longer periods of time. I have checked my installation and cannot seem to locate a leak on pipes, rads or valves. And I suspect that considering the size of the leak I should notice it over time. I have also checked the pressure release valve and I believe that it is not leaking

Could the loss of pressure result from the boiler?

I have a 10 year old combi boiler (Vaillant).

Sponsored Links
try tying a plastic bag over the PRV discharge pipe to confirm its integrity one way or the other.

your expansion vessel may be burst or need repressurised, this would result in water coming out your pressure relief valve though, check too see if water comes out off the air valve at the top off the expansion vessel

Sponsored Links
Thanks for those tips. I will check next week. I have an early version of the condensing boiler. I have noticed that a certain amount off water comes out off the condensate pipe. Can this mean anything?

Thanks
lionelH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back