i have a single pipe system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a single pipe system does anybody know if its possible to add an extra rad by just connecting it to the flow and return on a gravity fed system :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
hi doitall the single pipe system only as one rad i want to add another rad but the distance between the rad whats in to the new one is about 12 foot and it cant be run in 28m pipe only 15m its a coal fire with a flow and return and also does the hot water ,through the tank can i just run 15m pipe to the flow and return of the back boiler any comments would be great :rolleyes:

As DIA said if you know what your doing it can be done.

I dont think you do,
You cant just T into the existing pipe work and run to a new radiator.

Sponsored Links
how do i downlopad a sketch the the boiler has 2 pipes coming out the top pipe which is the flow runs to the immersion heater then comes out of the immersion heater then its piped into the rad top left then goes round the rad and tee out the bottom right then goes back into the boiler :rolleyes:

Upload it to your profile pics then you can add it to the thread.

Do you have a pump on your current one pipe system or does it operate under gravity?

Depending on the temp differential on flow and return it may be better to add an additional rad in series if its pumped.

Tony

hi have put a drawing on my profile its a gravity feed system if i had to had a pump where is the best place for it to go :rolleyes:

Well there's a challenge :unsure:

Where exactly is the new rad compared to the boiler.

Is the existing rad really a loop in the return.

hi doitall the new rad is going in another room about 12 feet away from the back boiler there is no room to get 28mm pipe in to the new rad only 15m ,somebody put this system in over 28 years ago on the original rad it gets hot and luke warm on the bottom . so would it be easier to run the new rad into the flow and return or fit a pump :rolleyes:

I would be looking to take a 22mm off the flow close to the boiler, rising to above the reducing to 15mm where it drops down to the rad, pick up the rad TBOE (as the existing rad,) then running the pipe back to the return at low level.

You would need an air vent at the highest level.

If the heating circuit is gravity fed then the simplest solution is to fit a pump and then you can use 15mm tube to supply the new rad.

Ideally you should check the power output of the back boiler but it makes no real difference as the rads would just be a little cooler but with more the heat output to the house would just be smaller.

Tony

hi doitall the single pipe system only as one rad i want to add another rad but the distance between the rad whats in to the new one is about 12 foot and it cant be run in 28m pipe only 15m its a coal fire with a flow and return and also does the hot water ,through the tank can i just run 15m pipe to the flow and return of the back boiler any comments would be great :rolleyes:
Well if it`s just a back boiler to a coal fire - and it`s a direct system ( no header tank in loft) you`ll need a 3/4 tapped cast iron wall mounted rad - commonly fitted to rayburns - and I just happen to have one I took out ;) And no, 15mm will get you nowhere on a gravity system

hi thanks for all your help it has a header tank in the loft also immersion heater so the back boiler supplies the rad and gives off hot water from the tank with the flow and return pipes going in and out immersion heater and if i did fit a pump where is the best place to put it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back