I have central heating but no hot water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night my boiler a Chaffoteaux and Maury Britony Combi 80 started having a problem in that it is not giving hot water.

Whenever I turn a hot water tap on the flame is not igniting as it should to heat up the water, and as such getting cold water.

Also tested to see if I would give hot water while in water and heating mode by prioritising the hot water, but its not heating up the water in this case either (though the burner is on in this case).

Any ideas on the cause and hopefully a way I would be able to sort the problem out myself?

Uploaded a picture of the boiler without the cover on here.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/714/sam0067n.jpg/

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the connector to the DHW throttle and check the continuity of the switch with a water demand...might be stuck. Early version throttles generally fail be going short circuit though.

By the connecter to the DHW throttle I assume that this is the white connecter that is plugged into the DHW flow, not visable in the picture i uploaded.

I just did that and there was no change at all, unless I misunderstood (the manual isn't exactly helping understand everything).

2 brown wires....they connect to the DHW throttle. About center. Pull out the connector and check continuity of the pins on the throttle with a hot water demand. Or temporarily short together the brown wires and see if boiler fires up.

Sponsored Links
Just did both as you suggested and the boiler did fire up.

If the boiler fired up with the brown wires shorted then it would appear the water throttle is faulty in which case you should find you have no continuity between the throttle pins with a hot water flow. Replace the throttle assembly or unstick it etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back