I have just emptied and refilled my central heating...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and good evening.

As per title, I have just finished (it was my first time) and I am a little knackered, probably because I just came back from the gym after a long day at work lol Well, at least I got myself a cold beer here :D

OK, I did this because the rads downstairs were always luke warm and the rad in the bedroom upstairs was always stone cold. During refilling I added Sentinel x400 and will leave for a month before draining and refilling with X100.

It all went rather well and the end result is that the rads downstairs were cold and the previously stone cold rad upstairs was hot!! Halfway there. I have now shut off all the rads upstairs and those downstairs are hot. So I am thinking I need to get everything rebalanced or perhaps I have a weak pump? Is there anything I can do to test the pump or should I just remove it and clean it?

Any advice on what temperature the rads should be for balancing?

Any advice is welcome. Enjoy your evening.

Sponsored Links
Hi and good evening.

As per title, I have just finished (it was my first time) and I am a little knackered, probably because I just came back from the gym after a long day at work lol Well, at least I got myself a cold beer here :D

OK, I did this because the rads downstairs were always luke warm and the rad in the bedroom upstairs was always stone cold. During refilling I added Sentinel x400 and will leave for a month before draining and refilling with X100.

It all went rather well and the end result is that the rads downstairs were cold and the previously stone cold rad upstairs was hot!! Halfway there. I have now shut off all the rads upstairs and those downstairs are hot. So I am thinking I need to get everything rebalanced or perhaps I have a weak pump? Is there anything I can do to test the pump or should I just remove it and clean it?

Any advice on what temperature the rads should be for balancing?

Any advice is welcome. Enjoy your evening.

I'd go for a temperature around 60deg. Starting from the most favored couple of rads (closest to pump), 1/2 a turn open on lock shields. then gradually increase the settings the further you get away from the pump, with the least favored rads fully open. once this exercise is done grab yourself a cuppa, then check return pipework temperatures on each radiator, and adjust accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back