I may need to replace this tap is there any particular tools or advice that will help with access?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20190928_100754.jpg
20190928_100730.jpg

I have a dripping tap in my bathroom sink, I have been advised on this forum that I'm better replacing it rather than fixing it.
The drip is getting worse, it's now turned into a fast drip and I can hear what sounds like rushing air coming from it aswell now.

For replacing the taps I'd probably rather just get someone in to do it but I'm unlikely to be able to get anyone till the middle of next week. I'm not sure how these problems usually progress but as it seems to be getting worse I'm concerned the valve might fully "go", as this is just a small washbasin it would not cope with that level of leak.

Anyway I'm looking at access to the nuts (both for the pipe to connect to the tap thread and also the securing nut for tap onto the sink) both look very awkward to access, I assume this is a common problem so are there any particular tools that would help with this or any advice on how to go about this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Tools required for this job are likely to be:
  • A tap spanner (you may get a 6” wide jaw adjustable in)
  • Box spanner (for basin and bath backnuts)
  • Fibre washers (not a tool, but essential for reconnecting)
You could replace the tap, or you could get a new insert or washer? (Depending on tap make model etc)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello,

Tools required for this job are likely to be:
  • A tap spanner
  • Box spanner (for basin and bath backnuts)
  • Fibre washers (not a tool, but essential for reconnecting)
You could replace the tap, or you could get a new insert or washer? (Depending on tap make model etc)

Thanks.

Thanks, so are these pretty specific tools I'd need? I'll have a look, I was hoping to get away with some gland pliers and a shifter...

I had posted a thread previously where I was told it would be hard to get the replacement insert, I'm going to buy a set of flomaster inserts from screwfix on the off chance they will patch it up should it get any worse.

Is there any other options I could use to temporarily stop a leak for a few days until I can get someone out? I was thinking I could wrap the tap outlet in self amalgamating tape to seal it but not sure if this will cause any issues with pressure etc in the system. Basically I'm just looking to have a few options up my sleeve.

On the fibre washer, where is this fitted (ie between tap an sink?) and do you know the standard size I'd likely need so I can pick some up?

Thanks again

Thanks, so are these pretty specific tools I'd need? I'll have a look, I was hoping to get away with some gland pliers and a shifter...

Is there any other options I could use to temporarily stop a leak for a few days until I can get someone out? I was thinking I could wrap the tap outlet in self amalgamating tape to seal it but not sure if this will cause any issues with pressure etc in the system. Basically I'm just looking to have a few options up my sleeve.

On the fibre washer, where is this fitted (ie between tap an sink?) and do you know the standard size I'd likely need so I can pick some up?

Thanks again

• You couldn’t stop it dripping all together until repair/replacement is done if there’s an isolation valve fitted, if not you could fit one?
  • Half inch fibre washers and they go between the tap and tap connector
I have inserted your photo edited (circled in white) is your tap connector, but you also need to make sure all of the old one out otherwise it will leak.

Attachments

• D8E83A0F-1E25-4DFD-81FE-C15B7FE940CA.jpeg
    D8E83A0F-1E25-4DFD-81FE-C15B7FE940CA.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 245
Sponsored Links
I’ve just seen your post regarding the tap, looks to me like a new insert would suffice providing you can get the correct one. Best way to do that is to remove the current one with the tap head, take to local plumbers merchants or even screwfix and compare, and make sure the tap head fits and turns without slipping.

I’ve just seen your post regarding the tap, looks to me like a new insert would suffice providing you can get the correct one. Best way to do that is to remove the current one with the tap head, take to local plumbers merchants or even screwfix and compare, and make sure the tap head fits and turns without slipping.

Thanks mate, especially for the photo, that helps. Just checked and my local plumbers merchant is closed until Monday. I'm wary of removing the inserts today incase I can't get the correct replacement and they leak ends up worse when I refit them so I think I'm going to leave as is until the start of next week. I'll go to screwfix today though and buy a set of inserts that *might* work just incase the issue gets worse over the weekend, I'm thinking something like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-ceramic-tap-glands-24mm-x-2-pack/2611f
I know it'll be impossible to tell if these are the right type but based on the other photo would they look like ball park the right kind of insert

Also, in your experience, how quickly do these leaks escalate to the point the tap is letting a high flow through? Over the last week its went from an occasional slow drip to today it is a constant fast drip

Cheers

Last edited:
Its highly unlikely that the failling tap valve would allow anything more than a constant trickle to pass through, you certainly wouldn't get enough water for the basins waste to be unable to cope with.Just ensure the plug is left out.
If you intend to get someone in to fit new taps ,I wouldn't do anything in the mean time.
I doubt the valve from s/ fix will fit ,but for a few quid its maybe worth a punt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back