I need a simple to use SatNav

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a blue media BM6300 which I've always found too complicated to use. Can any-one suggest one that will be simple to use please.
All I want it to do is for me to enter a UK destination and then for it to get me there. I don't want contracts with updates of every-thing, including maps or speed cams etc.
thanks

Sponsored Links
No great experience of different types, but we have a Tom Tom Start 25 that seems easy enough to use, and has lifetime updates on the maps included. It works fine.

Do you have a smart phone?

If so, don't throw away money on a sat-nav. Get a free download app that does the same on your phone. I use Google Maps and Navmii. The latter is particularly useful abroad: you can download maps for most countries for free (I have UK, France, Benelux and Germany)

Sponsored Links
you say you don't want map updates, but you will be annoyed when it directs you down a road which has since been turned into a dead end, or it doen't know a housing development or retail park. Near me a big road tunnel was built a few years ago, and the old road over the hills has been closed. I have also been led into roads that have had roundabouts removed and turned into flyovers, so you can't take the junction you want.

If you have a PC, you only need to plug your satnav into it every month or so for the maps to be updated. Many of them have free updates "for life" now (life meaning, a few years or until the maker decides to stop)

Well, as I said, I want something quick and simple for the odd journey.

OK have settled on tomtom start 60 from Halfords (@£100). Simple and clear, just what I wanted. Any tips on this most welcome.

I use my mobile, there are some very easy to use free satnav options available for smartphones. Not the best necessarily but certainly the cheapest if you already have the phone and for using maybe once a month as I do it’s less hassle than having a dedicated satnav.

I use my mobile, there are some very easy to use free satnav options available for smartphones. Not the best necessarily but certainly the cheapest if you already have the phone and for using maybe once a month as I do it’s less hassle than having a dedicated satnav.
Exactly. As I said earlier, I recommend NAVMII: free map downloads for all countries, so no need to connect to WiFi or cellular signal. Only connection needed is GPS which, of course, is free and you can pinpoint your position anywhere. It includes navigation too.
I used it recently from Calais to the Ruhr Valley and found it very accurate.

OK. seeing as I'm a Yorkshire-man I'll have a look at NAVMII to fall back on !

I checked out NAVMII last night, seemed a bit clunky and you have to download a 700mb map for the UK. I will give it a go.

But up to now I have used Waze which seems much simpler to use and you don't have to download a map. Though it helps that if you know where you want to go you find the destination whilst you have a good data or WIFI connection. And is properly add free too. But maybe has slightly less features than NAVMII. Also the Google Maps one seems to work OK too and is properly add free, that's often already downloaded onto smartphones.

These both sound interesting but, I don't know about you but, my smartphone doesn't have a 6" screen which is awe-some

Well it kinda depends, there are some tiny poor quality screen satnavs out there and some huge feckers so maybe try it and find out if you can live with it or not.

I checked out NAVMII last night, seemed a bit clunky and you have to download a 700mb map for the UK. I will give it a go.

But up to now I have used Waze which seems much simpler to use and you don't have to download a map. Though it helps that if you know where you want to go you find the destination whilst you have a good data or WIFI connection. And is properly add free too. But maybe has slightly less features than NAVMII. Also the Google Maps one seems to work OK too and is properly add free, that's often already downloaded onto smartphones.
Of course. Google Maps and, presumably, Waze (which I am unfamiliar with) require you to have a WiFi or cellular connection in order to view maps or, as you say, to download maps of where you intend to go beforehand. It's no surprise, then, that NAVMII requires you to download a map beforehand too. One difference I have noticed is that, in Google Maps, you have to visit the map of each area you 'may' be interested in whilst you have a data connection. What happens then if you decide to stray off route to an area you haven't saved? With NAVMII, although you need to download a map of the entire country, once saved you can go anywhere in that country and find coverage. Also, I don't consider 700Mb (or even more for bigger countries) too big, depending on how much memory you have available. If there is a problem with space, it is possible to delete the country you are in and download the next country's maps. Having said that, I have all maps of the UK, France, Benelux and Germany on my phone with plenty of space to spare, although admittedly I have 64Gb of memory.

Sponsored Links
Back