Simple guide to cleaning the inside & outside of the car?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When it comes to cleaning my 2005 Ford Focus, it's almost non-existent. I only use it to take my wife to the station which takes about 3 minutes each way, then the odd journey such as shopping. I'm not a car person.

That said, I now want to make and keep it looking respectable. I've looked at YouTube videos about this but they're just too much. All the detailing with all the different products and stages, surely it's not all necessary?

Has anybody got a nice simple no-nonsense routine that I could follow?

For example, with the interior:
Remove mats and spray some Muc-Off then pressure washer.
Use a duster wand (gets in the nooks and crannies) around the dashboard & panels etc.
Vacuum floor and upholstery.
Use something like Pledge on the hard surfaces and wipe with a microfibre cloth.

Does that sound like an effective plan or would you recommend something else. I'm sure there's a more appropriate product than Pledge so please let me know.

For the outside I was simply going to spray the car & wheels with more Muc-Off (got litres off the stuff!) then pressure washer it. Afterwards, maybe wipe it down with a large towel?

If you think it's worth buying a certain product and/or doing things differently the please let me know too! Maybe I should put wax on it? Is it really necessary to protect it? I'm not bothered about it looking all shiny, I just want it looking clean.

I just want a simple, quick and effective plan where I don't need to think about it, have a garage full of items and go through twenty steps.

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
Wash the car with some turtle wax sudsy water and a sponge, rinse with fresh water and chamois dry.
Hoover the carpets and mats.
Wipe the interior down with a damp cloth.
Clean the glass with glass cleaner.

Might need some wheel cleaner on the wheels first.

You can't get much simpler than that.

Or just let your local Polish car cleaner do the honours for £10

2005? Assume you're not looking for concourse detailing. If so.

Pressure wash, if you have one. Hose if not.
2 buckets. 1) warm water + car shampoo 2) plain warm water.

Wash with sponge using shampoo, rinse sponge plain warm water.

Pressure wash or hose suds off.

Chamois dry & wax (optional)

Vac inside out + cockpit shine (optional)

Very basic cleaning guide.

Sponsored Links
Autoglym / Meguiars have all the products you need - and some you don’t.....careful with what you use to clean the dashboard though as you don’t want unsuitable overspray getting on the screen.
John :)

Use to use the local car wash gangs but never really did a good job, always missed bits.
If it takes me less than hour (which it should) then I'll pay myself £10 - getting tighter every day!

I think one advice I've come across that might be important is pressure washer the car first before using a hand item like a sponge because you may trap tiny stones or grit that could cause scratches.

Thanks for all your advice and recommendations so far, digesting it all.

Actually, didn't check my lottery ticket yet, someone in the UK has won £122 million last night. If it's me, forget everything I just asked!

I think one advice I've come across that might be important is pressure washer the car first before using a hand item like a sponge because you may trap tiny stones or grit that could cause scratches.

Yes, always pre-rinse before using sponge on car. This gets as much abrasive dirt as possible off the bodywork. You don't want to be rubbing any of that into the paintwork.

Inside of windows can get a greasy film on them from pollution. I always clean them with bucket of hot water with good measure of vinegar in it. Used with a clean chamois, it's cheap and very effective.

Last edited:
I would use snow foam with the pressure washer before hand washing. Gets rid of the scratchy stuff and if only after a quick spruce up no need to wash. Just snow foam, rinse and dry. Only works when car is not too dirty though. Demon shine after a thorough wash keeps it cleaner for longer in my opinion.

Sponsored Links
Back