I need to strip some window boards back to wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some window boards which have had decades of paint build up.

I've previously tried a light sanding and applied zinsser 1-2-3 primer/sealer (waterbased) but defects have come through.

I gave it a sand with my random orbital with 40-grit but it's slow going. I tried some no-nonsense paint/varnish remover but it was only removing a single layer at a time and it was very messy with lots of scraping.

I now want a more powerful sander to blast it back to wood. I'm told a belt sander will be up to the task.

I've had a look online and they range in price from £50-200. Is there any specification in particular I should look out for? Will it do the job?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Surely it can't be that hard to remove layers of paint with a good stripper and the right tool?
Get a tin of elbow grease and apply yourself.
Or take the hard work out of it and cover with a cut-to-size piece of sticky-back vinyl.

Sponsored Links
Belt sander to take the bulk off, delta sander or multitool to get into thevedges and corners, your ROS to smooth out

But nevertheless several hundred pounds? One supplier I use is offering the Ro90 kit at about £440 and the DTS400 at a touch under £300, so maybe £740 plus abrasives, would you say? (Prices from a recent offers sheet)

I am not against using good kit, but I think a lot of people would whince at some of the money I've put out over the years...

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back