Wooden Window Repairs - the Wood side of things.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Board!

I posted this in the Windows forum, but i'm sure you chippies will have some advice for me!

We live in a 7 year old house with wooden window frames + double glazing.

They need some attention - bringing them back to top condition really.

Some of the parts just need sanding down, priming and painting. I am going to replace the draught excluding foam that is stuck around the frames. Our clever pre-owners painted over it. It needs pulling off, cleaning up of the goo and then sanding etc.

Some of the frames have bits of wood that look really bad and will need replacing. I've not done window work before - i've kind of been building up DIY jobs and this is the biggest i've done i think so far - so i'm trying to plan through and need some advice.

The sealant and putty stuff that's between the window frame and glass - it's all black, should i cut/scrape it out and replace?

Where is a good place to get the replacement wood strips from and what sort of wood do I need? Will i have to make this profile myself?

Is it safe to pull them out - how is the glass held in?

What sort of filler do i need - will just any outdoor wood stuff do?

What primer is the best to use? I've seen some plastic feeling stuff on half-done windows i passed in the street - what is that stuff?? Is it worth using?

Can i use any outdoor wood paint or is there a difference (a worthwhile one) between brands?

Thanks for any help you can give, any advice you might have on the above.

I have the small kitchen window to do first and then the bedroom windows which are bigger and higher - so i'd like to get this done first.

Cheers.

Mr. T.

Sponsored Links
Wow Mr. Tickle, we both seem to be in the same boat as I am due to be tackling a job very similar to yours, if not, the same :eek:.

I am going to replace the draught excluding foam that is stuck around the frames.

Use non-hardening mastic seal. I think it comes in two colours, brown and white, but I'm not sure sure though. You can check if you buy it.

I've not done window work before - i've kind of been building up DIY jobs and this is the biggest i've done i think so far

Same here.

The sealant and putty stuff that's between the window frame and glass - it's all black, should i cut/scrape it out and replace?

Try it, but be careful not to break the glass. I have actually managed to break a pane before when I was getting putty out. I wasn't clubbing the chisel too hard. The problem is, getting well set and adhered putty out is a total nightmare. It's very frustrating work that just makes you tap harder and harder and then... CRACK! Be careful. Or smash and replace the glass if it makes it easier ;).

Where is a good place to get the replacement wood strips from and what sort of wood do I need? Will i have to make this profile myself?

Well to be honest, I just went to Homebase and bought a timber fence post (for the rotten external sill and bottom piece where the horns are). I could have gone a timber merchants for an offcut, but they had a sale on that day at homebase and I was there getting other stuff.

But yea, try and go to a timber merchant/ builders yard. They supply offcuts and to the size you specify. I think they even deliver for practically next to nothing:cool:. See this thread about it. Look for Big-all's post at the bottom.

If you can get the size you need, you won't need to cut it. I have to cut my own as mine is a fixed sized post. It should be no trouble though. The problem is, is if you require mortice and tenons. You could ask them about if they can do this for you too.

What sort of filler do i need - will just any outdoor wood stuff do?

If you need any fillers, get one that resists rainwater. Get the most suitable.

By the way, here is the thread I made some time ago asking some questions about the work that needs to be done. Maybe it could give you some ideas :).

Sorry I can't answer more of your questions, but I'm not familiar with primers and paints etc. Also, I'm still new to DIY. Only started in February 2006, so I still have a tonne to learn :p.

Can I ask you, are you keeping the windows in whilst you do the work? I'm planning on removing mine temporarily. The problem is, the bricks at the top are loose so it means I will have to refit them when the window is out. It's gonna be tough :evil:.

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

The draught excluding is the plastic extrusion type stuff that has a sticky backing - not the caulking gun type that goes around the acutal window frame.

I will be very careful with the putty - thanks!! I thought there may be a 'trick' to removing it, but okay - graft!

I'm not after the lintel at the base, i need the bits of wood (1cm x 1cm-ish profile) that are nailed over the top of the edge of the glass and into the frame.

They have a rebate and a profile that i can't do myself. I can mitre it and nail it in/seal it - but not make it.

I went to B&Q yesterday but they only have mouldings that are ornate. Very few hardwood ones and non that fit the profile. Should I go to a glazing company that do wooden windows? Anyone recommend a firm in the West Midlands?

I'd rather not go to the length of having it specially made - i would rather pull them all out and replace with a new profile if that was the option. I think having it made would be expensive - or do people do mouldings as a matter of course, meaning it would be not-so-expensive?

Yes, I am keeping the windows in - they are not so bad that i must remove them entirely. I may remove the opeing windows - but the frames themselves will stay in situ.

It's a 7 year old house, newbuild, cut-every-corner-where-possible, type house and i don't think they have used oak for the windows. I'm not sure if the wood even deserves to have nice paint on it! I know we won't be in this house for the next 10 years, but i would really prefer to use good stuff.

I've looked at some norweigan linseed oil paint that is mentioned on this board and it looks like good stuff that i would use.

I've been to several small independant wood merchant/diy places and they have never heard of anything like it - so i can safely say there is no local knowledge that will help.

Thanks for your input! I have taken pictures but can't find anywhere to upload them to here!

Cheers,

Mr. T.

Anybody got any ideas on the paint?

i've done some research at local DIY stores and no one seems to know anything about breathable paints or wood windows. Everyone just goes 'uPVC is what you need, mate'.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link, i've seen it before.

My wood windows aren't that good quality, they aren't nicely joined oak or anything like that. So i'm a little bit reluctant to buy and use this stuff, that i know little about.

No one in the area stocks this stuff and non of the staff in any independant paint shops have ever heard of it! Let alone have any experience they could pass on.

Would you recommend Linseed Oil Paint on ANY wood windows? Or is it something to be reserved for oak windows in period properties?

Thanks for your input.

If you want to get putty off, use a hot air gun but be carefull not to burn the wood or break the glass. The GENTLE heat from the gun softens the putty and can be removed with a wood chisel. I refurbed two sash windows last week using this method and didnt break any glass :)

As for treating the wood, I use Sadolin. Easy to apply and last for years. If paint flakes you have to spend a lot of time burning, sanding off or filling. As for oil, once you use it, it is very hard to remove it should you ever want to paint your windows at a later date.

Hey Builder!

Thanks for the tip, i will try it tonight.

As for the Linseed Oil - you can get linseed oil paint, so there'd be no need to paint it with petrol-paint at a later date.

Do people put linseed oil paint on all wood window frames, or is it just the period properties/heavy oak type frames that they bother with?

We might be selling our house in 3-5 years, so i don't want to have to go around painting the frames all over again just to sell the damn thing!

I've looked for breathable latex paint for exterior woodpaint, but not come up with anything locally.

I'm still stuck!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back