Manky wood on sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm sanding down my sash windows and have come across some soft and rotting wood in some places, mainly where the condensation runs down and collects. Also there is a small hole in one place near the catch.
Can I repair and save the wood?
The putty has had it as well and I have been taking it out as I go. I have heard of small nails that should be holding the glass in as well, but I have not come across any yet, does this mean that I will not need to use them on my windows?
Also the large window sills seem to made out of cement, and the paint is peeling off and I need to re paint them, but how do I get the paint off the cement so I can repaint?
Thanks chaps,
SB

Sponsored Links
Hi Sallybun.
Depending on how far gone the rot is, you could use a two pack hard filler to repair the wood. If you can scrape out all the rot and your left with a hole no bigger than a golf ball i would say fill it.
You will need to fix the glass in, but i would get some glazing sprigs for a glaziers rather than pin it.

oh and the window cill, just use a scraper to get off the loose paint then sand the paint to smooth things out.
If its external, repaint with masonary paint.

Thanks - however I can't track down sprigs - Homebase and Wickes do not seem to have them - also could you recommend a good two pack hard filler?
Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored Links
if the timber is soft then use something like cuprinal wood hardener before using the 2 pack filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back