How much for new sash windows?

Know a couple doing a new build and her indoors wants to go the so called "green" route and fit oak timber windows.
Him outdoors wants pvc, so he takes her to his mates house where he has oak finish pvc in his new build but tells her they are wooden and his mate plays along.
She was impressed and liked them, then they let her know they are pvc. (Ohh dear big red face)

You mention "plastic" to some people and they just think crap.
Pvc windows have evolved into highly engineered quality products.
Especially if your dealing with the likes of Mc mullan O Donnel.

Painting timber is plastic finish at the end of the day and of course you being a decorator have a vested interest.

Sponsored Links
Know a couple doing a new build and her indoors wants to go the so called "green" route and fit oak timber windows.
Him outdoors wants pvc, so he takes her to his mates house where he has oak finish pvc in his new build but tells her they are wooden and his mate plays along.
She was impressed and liked them, then they let her know they are pvc. (Ohh dear big red face).

The fact that you have a friend with no powers of discrimination and a husband prepared to lie to her proves nothing about windows, really.

You mention "plastic" to some people and they just think crap.
Pvc windows have evolved into highly engineered quality products.
That may well be the case - but I still find them aeasthetically unpleasing. All function and no form, if you will.

Painting timber is plastic finish at the end of the day and of course you being a decorator have a vested interest.
Paint is not plastic, and I can hardly be said to have a 'vested interest' where painting my own house is concerned! Think about it.

:LOL: :LOL:
I dare say the "lie" didn't work. And him outdoors will be up the ladder in a few years sanding, painting, varnishing etc.
OOh the woes of wooden windows. :LOL:
Best place for them is the stove.

:LOL: :LOL:
I dare say the "lie" didn't work. And him outdoors will be up the ladder in a few years sanding, painting, varnishing etc.
OOh the woes of wooden windows. :LOL:
Best place for them is the stove.

I didn't realise there were still people alive who clung so relentlessly to such outmoded stereotypes of married life. You must be a real blast at parties!

(Not...)

Sponsored Links
My Dad married an old millionaire krone a few years ago and luckily they have pvc windows so no maintainance required of him in that respect.
He hasn't greased the stairs yet but its only a matter of time I reckon.
:LOL:

PVC windows are aesthetically nasty, for the most part. People in this part of the world are ripping them out and re-installing wooden ones and it seems to be improving the value of their homes, judging by the prices they are achieving
As I'm from "just over the hill" I have to agree. Same happening round here and more call for sash refurbs that there's been for years. The conservation people have tightened up a lot on what is and isn't acceptable - and plastics are very much not in favour. If it keeps up I'll be going back to making them myself

Only if you use nasty modern alkyd paints. The Holkham stuff I referred to earlier is a linseed-oil based product and as the OP says, when properly applied that sort of paint is extremely durable. You really need to try some.

Modern sash window practice is to use a durable hardwood cill even on softwood windows which makes them far more durable than the all softwood ones of yore - the first thing to go is on a sash window is pretty much always the cill - and if you manufacture from recycled pitch pine the windows are considerably more rot resistant than even oak, not to mention being almost completely resistant to boring insects (the pitch clogs the larval stage's mouth parts I'm told)

You can't get Magnet paint now so Holkam must be the answer . I have done a bit of lead paint painting with my late father , I have to say I found that easier than trying to master this new water based acrylic . Perhaps I'm just heavy handed ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back