Help: Timber Sash winndows - refurb or new and who to use??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

PLACE: Preston, Lancs

We have just moved into a 1890 built house. At the rear, there is a 3 storey column of bay windows. Each bay is made up of a 1m x 2m sliding sash at the centre and a 1/2mx 2m sliding sash on either side. These bays might be a bit newer.

All windows are old, rattly and single glazed. The frames look in pretty good nick, possibly softwood. The external stuff like "mullions" and cill extensions are rotten to the point where you can bury your thumb in them by a hard grip. The window frames are good inside and out. The infills are made of a poor excuse of plywood too.

I am getting a builder in to rebuild the lot. I am happy with his plans for the infills etc, BUT the prices for replacement windows are HORRIBLE. There are quotes coming in at 18,000+Vat for Accoya complete replacements. Douglas Fir is apr 14,000+VAT. WTH?!?!

Am I being had off? I do not want to go PVC (SPECTUS considered).

Just getting new double glazed sashes fitted in the original good frames and reweighted are coming in at nearly 6k. But the builder is unhappy with the chances of removing the old window frames carefully, and reinstalling them back in the newly built infills in one piece and with perfect fitment in preparation for replacement sashes.

Any suggestions? Any ideas which companies I need to consider or call for refurbs or new windows? I am getting a bit desperate now, I was hoping to have all sorted for a March rebuild?

Sponsored Links
Try some recommended local joinery shops or traditional carpenter and get a few more ideas and prices,send some pic's.

I was hoping that someone in here might be able to make recommendations.

Anyone?

Sponsored Links
Repairs of these items are normal, half cill replacement being very straight forward. By mullion, are you are referring to the vertical stone columns running between the window frame bays?
If no,t and these are wood, then what your talking about are cover plates which replacement of, once again is normal. A dwg. would benifit here...pinenot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back