Rotten sash windows looking to bankrupt me! (London)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have 4 sash windows in 2 frames, they go into a mansard roof. The frames and the sashes are rotting. Being 3 floors up, this also is on the brink, or in, scaffolding territory.

There are 4 x 900mm x 1600mm sash windows in two frames.

The exterior wood of the frame need replacing, as do many parts of the sash windows; the glazing bars, meeting rail and bottom rail all require replacing I think.

The quotes i have received so far have been very very high, and all are for replace rather than refurb (I would be more keen to refurb). Companies that have quoted are: Sash Window Workshop, Original Box Sash Window Company, Scope Exteriors and Greenwich Joinery - with quotes from £6.5k to £12k!

Is there any way to refurb them, and what would you think is a reasonable cost?

Thanks all, really hope i can get some advice (FYI I'm in North London)
Ross

Here are some pics, showing the interior, close up of a sash, the frame, and an exterior shot of the windows.

Sponsored Links
07939 497 538 david howe sash windows extremely high quality of work and not too expensive give them a try

I did a few sash window specifications in the past we have them made abroad by a company either in European Oak for HW or Siberian Pine for SW.

We didn't get anything from here because of the cost, a window made and delivered fully assembled, primed and painted to us was only €400 compared to £900 in the UK. If you are comfortable removing the old sash and placing in a completed unit this is the best way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back