I think i have fitted the rad valves to the wrong ends, plea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i recently added 3 rads to my existing worcester boiler system and think i have muddled up the ends that should have the rad valves on, one radiator at the far end of the circuit was cold so i balanced the upstairs rads by opening the feed end one turn out from closed position and that fixed it, does anyone know a way of identifying which is the feed pipe and which is the return pipe without going under the floor, i had a idea that if the system is cold and i turn the heating on the feed pipe will be the first one to get hot, also what will happen to the system if the trvs on the 3 x new rads are on the wrong end ? does it matter, i dont think they are dual trvs. any help is much appreciated because at present on the new rads pipe below the trv is hot and the other end is cool, this to me symbolises i have ballsd it up and the ends need swapping over, the radiator is warm but not piping hot. thanks, marc

Sponsored Links
If you have used bi-directional trv's it should make no difference

hi dave i have checked wickes website and the trvs i have used are :-

Fully reversible for installation on the flow or return pipes

basically the rads are not getting hot in 2 rooms, the small double rad in my bathroom is luke warm and there is no air in it, and the one in the kitchen is also now warm not hot.

do i need to balance all the rads top and bottom, im getting confused on what to do, i live in a semi detached property with rads up and down,

Just sounds like you need to get the rads balanced. Shut off all but the new ones and get the heat through them then open up the originals and adjust the rad valves to get even heat through the house

Sponsored Links
Best practise is always lockshiels on return and trvs etc (even bi directional)on flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back