I think I've well and truely bought the wrong shower - Help

Ok checked it now, so its;

30 seconds to fill the bucket from the kitchen sink
1 min 10 seconds from the pipe disconnected from where it fits onto the shower
and 2 mins from the shower head itself, when fully turned to cold.

Cleaned the showerhead and the inlet pipe, both were clean and free of debris.

Marth

Sponsored Links
How long is the pipe between main stopcock and the inlet to the shower?

And how many fittings have been used? And of what type?

Softus said:
How long is the pipe between main stopcock and the inlet to the shower?

And how many fittings have been used? And of what type?

Hi a bendy pipe from the shower down to the bath with a compression joint, then another bendy pipe, then about 2 metres or a bit less alongside the bath. Then another bendy pipe attached to copper pipe with another compression joint. That pipe runs about 1.5 mts to under the kitchen sink.

Marth39 said:
[Hi a bendy pipe from the shower down to the bath with a compression joint
Do you mean a flexible hose, like this:

p1081010_x.jpg

If so, then I'd remove this because the bore is usually extremely restrictive.

...then another bendy pipe...
OhMyGod.

...then about 2 metres or a bit less alongside the bath.
2 metres of...?

Then another bendy pipe attached to copper pipe with another compression joint.
EEK!

That pipe runs about 1.5 mts to under the kitchen sink.
So three bendy pipes, of length unknown. This is bad news. :(

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Marth39 said:
[Hi a bendy pipe from the shower down to the bath with a compression joint
Do you mean a flexible hose, like this:

p1081010_x.jpg

If so, then I'd remove this because the bore is usually extremely restrictive.

...then another bendy pipe...
OhMyGod.

...then about 2 metres or a bit less alongside the bath.
2 metres of...?

Then another bendy pipe attached to copper pipe with another compression joint.
EEK!

That pipe runs about 1.5 mts to under the kitchen sink.
So three bendy pipes, of length unknown. This is bad news. :(

Oh dear, yes those bendy pipes, of the lenght shown
the 2 metres are of copper pipe. I only got the flexible hoses as I heard the less bends the better.

Marth

Marth39 said:
I only got the flexible hoses as I heard the less bends the better.
True in principle, but you're using each flexible as a bend, so it's worse!

Softus said:
Marth39 said:

Hi, thanks, so would it be better to replace the flexible joints with elbow compression joints, or have I too many joints full stop? If so is there anything I can do?

Marth

Marth39 said:
Softus said:
Marth39 said:

Hi, thanks, so would it be better to replace the flexible joints with elbow compression joints
Or soldered. Or, if you fancy doing something that you can easily dismantle if you're not happy with it, then Hep2o pushfit.

...or have I too many joints full stop?
That's really hard to tell from here, but it's unlikely.

Softus said:
Marth39 said:
Softus said:
Marth39 said:

Hi, thanks, so would it be better to replace the flexible joints with elbow compression joints
Or soldered. Or, if you fancy doing something that you can easily dismantle if you're not happy with it, then Hep2o pushfit.

...or have I too many joints full stop?
That's really hard to tell from here, but it's unlikely.

Hi, thanks so much, you have given me hope that all is not lost. I have some compression joints here so will try them first, though will have to buy more pipe as it's obviously too short now, given that the flexible pipes were longer. :)

Marth

Well I posted this thread quite a while ago now about the low pressure light on my Triton electric shower flicking on as soon as I turned on the unit, and you all gave me some very good advice.
It's taken a while due t money and time but we finally replaced all the flexible hoses and the thing still doesnt work.

The set up now is as follows:

15 milmcopper pipe coming horizontally off the rising mains in the kitchen. It then goes for about a metre and half through the adjoining cupboards to the kitchen wall. Then there is a 15mil plastic pipe going through the kitchen wall, sloping up a bit and curving around the bath. That is about 1.5 metres long too. We had to use that as cannot muck the wall about (rented) and it wouldnt go in a straight line.

That joins onto a 15 mil copper pipe of about 3/4 metre that runs along side the bath. Then one 90 degree elbow joint to come out of the side of the bath, attached about 3" chrome pipe, then that's joined to another 90 degree elbow joint. Then about 1 metre of chrome pipe runs up the wall to the shower unit, where one more elbow joint fixes it to the unit.

I really am completed stumped and can't help thinking it must be the shower unit itself? Any ideas would be really appreciated

Marth

Have you checked the inlet filter on the Triton?

Softus said:
Have you checked the inlet filter on the Triton?

Hiya, yes, have checked it every time we have had the thing apart and its very clean. The cold water from the kitchen tap can fill a nine ltr bucket in about 30 seconds. Have also made sure the stop cock and isolation screw are fully open, and that there are no leaks or kinks in the pipes.

Marth

I'd measure the flow rate at the shower inlet, not at the kitchen tap.

If it's really in the 18l/m region then it would seem that you have a faulty shower unit.

BTW, what happens if you turn the shower control to the minimum temperature setting?

Softus said:
I'd measure the flow rate at the shower inlet, not at the kitchen tap.

If it's really in the 18l/m region then it would seem that you have a faulty shower unit.

BTW, what happens if you turn the shower control to the minimum temperature setting?

Hiya, At the shower inlet it is about 1 minute.

Also just wanted to ask, I've been searching threads and saw the one about checking the filter by the solenoid valve? The one I've been checking is the little pipe with the silver mesh inside, that is capped with a plastic nut next to the inlet pipe. Is there another one I should be looking for?

ETA. I get a good flow from the shower when using the cold setting.

I think you may find that Triton require you to have a minimum of 1.25bar cold mains working pressure at shower inlet, rather than stating a certain flow rate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back