I want to improve my gravity fed hot water by adding a pump

Thanks again everyone,
It is now abundantly clear that the definitive guaranteed method is as suggested by Ironman and confirmed by IKM today.ie 2 pumps/2 x 22mm valves connected as 'S' plan.
However there is a strong temptation to approach as a 2 stage operation ie. 28mm valve/2nd pump to HW & connect to CH pump via white wire as 'C' plan.This eliminates my original problem of electrical feedback.Stage 2 being to fit the 22mm zone valve to CH if there is conflict with water flow in CH circuit.This is essentially Picasso's approach.
I am minded that because the boiler has 4 connections backflow is an unknown quantity.I am also minded of Ironman's reservation regarding throttling back of the HW pump valves.This probably will determine that a zone valve will be be required in the CH circuit.
Because this option will not involve any extra work & i have the flexibility
to change the setup from 'C' plan to 'S' plan fairly easily, it seems like a good result for me. I need to source another valve & this might as well be the 28mm version.IKM Thanks for tip on 28mm compression. If i go forward as current thinking that will apply with the 28mm valve, but i intend to use Yorkshire solder fittings for the 28/22 reduction.All in all a good result for me unless you have any strong objections.
Many thanks again
Ron

Sponsored Links
Ron,
I agree with you on the 2 stage approach which will save you some time and effort if it all works first time. I also have a Gloworm boiler with 4 connections and didn't have any problems. I chose a pump with 5m head (DAB EVO VA55/130 from BES Mail Order), set the speed to minimum and fully opened the ball valves in the coupling either side of the pump.
Good Luck.

Just a final thankyou to all contributors to this discussion & a special thank you to Ironman 1 who has nursed & encouraged me throughout, in the face of adversity( just shows how fried my brain is------- had to resort to dictionery to spell throughout)
A word of caution to any outside interested parties; There have been several questions by me which have been confused, particularly 'electrical backfeed' when the respondant has been referring to 'water flow backfeed' in the CH circuit.
Ron

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back