Solid fuel gravity fed heating troubles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have installed a solid fuel gravity fed heating system with underfloor heating and a hot water cylinder. It works brilliantly when the pump for the underfloor heating is on but the Rayburn boils when the pump is off. The feed pipe to the cylinder and the heat leak get very hot, the water in the cylinder gets warm but the return from cylinder stays cold. I bought a standard 1050x450 Telford L1b open vented cylinder with a standard coil. I was told by two plumbers my system is fine but one said the cylinder needs a special gravity coil the other said it doesn't matter but there is an air lock. I am 95% sure no air lock. Telford said the cylinder is wrong. Would like another opinion if I need new cylinder or what else to do.

Sponsored Links
If the manufacturer tells you it is the wrong cylinder for the job I would respect their opinion.

You have two options. One is to replace the whole cylinder and possibly the pipework going to it which needs to be in 28mm if not already. The other is to add a second pump to the hot water circuit, though this requires both electricity and functional components to operate so is not fool proof. Since the AGA you have is solid fuel my advice would be to replace the cylinder. Running the AGA without proper measures to dissipate the heat build-up is likely to cause permanent damage and could be dangerous.

Seek opinion from AGA if you still have any doubts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back