i30 Boiler CH pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have been doing a few general maintenance jobs for my sons mate and I noticed that the i30 Boiler CH pressure was reading 3 Bar on the gauge. I am not a plumber but I think this is too high and should be around 1 Bar. He has also mentioned that the vent pipe that goes from the boiler outside the house has had water coming out from time to time. I suspect that the pressure relief valve is kicking in when the heating comes on.
Would 1 bar CH pressure be about right for an i30 Boiler? If so what's the best way to reduce the pressure back down from 3 bar to 1 Bar?

Thanks for any help.
Regards

Sponsored Links
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the quick response. Are you saying that the increased pressure of 3 Bar in the CH system is not just because someone has over-pressurised the system via the filling loop, but because the mains water pressure is getting into the CH system because either the expansion vessel, the plate heat exchanger or the filling loop itself have failed? If my summary is correct, do you have any suggestions as to how to determine which has failed? I did try to open one of the radiator bleed valves and drained off about 0.5 litre of water and the pressure gauge didn't drop at all. I appreciate that it is looking like I am going to need a professional plumber to look into this but it is educational for myself to learn more. Thanks.

1. Remove the filling loop. Mind, you may get wet if check valve faulty

2. Bleed water for system as you did before. If pressure does not drop, shut off cold water into boiler and repeat step 2

3. If pressure now lower, run CH and observe gauge if pressure rises, get boiler looked at

I assume, perhaps wrongly, you have a Baxi combi 130
Regardless, getting the boiler serviced, as required in the manual, will be a tep forward. Get the engineer to drop the base plate on the heat exchanger clean the heat exchanger fins also

Sponsored Links
Hi DP

Thanks for the specific help and advice. I'm going to get a qualified plumber to take a look and get it serviced at the same time. Many thanks DP & Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back