iboost+ and CT coil position, has anyone else had problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The iboost+ CT coil should be 100 mm from any other CT coil according to the instructions. But the tails are not long enough 1695287389507.png so although the white iboost+ CT coil is about mid position between the inverter CT coil and the meter which will also have a CT coil, so I can't without renewing the cable which I can't do as sealed in meter get the 100 mm gap.

It was not fitted by me, it was all part of the solar panel installation, and the idea is once the battery is fully charged it will heat my water before exporting power, however on the Friday I found at 9 pm the iboost was running, so turned it off, it remained off on week end and for a couple of dull days as there was no excess power to export anyway, so yesterday was first time I could re-test after moving CT coils as far apart as I could.

I am talking to the installer who is making inquiries with LuxPower as to if there are any adjustments, but sure I am not the only one, so has anyone else had problems with iboost running when it should not?

I have as an experiment changed the storage offset from 100 watt (default) to 200 watt, at 17:32 took photo 1695322049007.png which shows 1.08 kWh saved today, I hope latter this will be the same, at 19:27 it was looking good, still shows 1.08 kWh. Crossing fingers this has worked.

Well now 10 pm and battery drained, and the iboost+ still says 1.08 kWh saved today so it seems now working. Now we need to consider if we need a second battery? I don't know how long they last, it went on line 7th of September so two weeks ago, today 51.3 kWh exported, and generated 188 kWh and used 232.9 kWh so we are generating less than we use, and even if we used the 51.3 kWh instead of exporting 38p - 9p = 29p per kWh we save if we use it rather than export, so approx £15 a fortnight, near equinox so reasonable to assume average over the year, so £1,200 quoted for second battery, so if it saved it all then over 3 years to pay for its self and on one day we exported 10.9 kWh so the battery would only have saved a 1/3 of that, so it could take 9 years which is over expected life of the battery, so seems a non starter as far as second battery goes.

Not sorry about first battery as it means with a power cut we can survive without burning wood in an open grate. I am no longer worried that a power cut will mean loss of all food in freezer. Or getting cold. Although a generator would have been cheaper.

Still not sure I have done the right thing?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back