Icon fan in bathroom stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our Airflow Icon 15 fan has stopped working in our bathroom. This is the 2nd one we have had.

What can we do? Do we need to get a different model?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you have a multimeter, or other two-probe test device?
Has your Icon fan got a timer/humidity/other module in it?
Do you have 230v coming into the module if you have one?
Is there 230v leaving the module into the fan itself?

Answers will/should lead you to the answer to your question, otherwise its hard to tell as there is a couple of computer screens, miles of cable/fibre optic between your place and mine.

Sponsored Links
You need to first establish whether mains power is reaching the fan; Does yours haver a timer or humidistat? I have a Icon 15 in my bathroom and have never had an issue, but mine just the basic type without any timer or humidity function.

I would first isolate the power (use a two probe test device to test for dead) and check for any loose connections or wires what may have come out of the terminals in the fan. The with the two probe tester, carefully verify if you have power coming into the fan, test between switched line and neutral conductors and also test between the permanent line and neutral conductors if you have them as well.

Note you will hopefully have the colours of either:

1) Red(SL)/Black(N)
2) Brown(SL)/Blue(N)
3) Brown(PL)/Black(Sleeved brown)(SL)/Grey(Sleeved Blue)(N)
4) Red(PL)/Yellow(Sleeved Red) (SL)/Blue(Sleeved Black)(N)

SL =
Switched Line PL = Permanent Line N = Neutral ; You will also have earth what will hopefully and likely be a bare conductor sleeved with yellow striped green earth sleeving. (Switched line is live when you turn the fan on either via its own switch or via the lights, permanent line is always live.)

If you have no power, check for loose connections at the light switch, 3 pole fan isolator, and any junction boxes that you have access to. If you have power at the fan, it is possible that your fan is broken. Also worth checking that any switch or isolator is not broken/faulty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back