Ideal 120 response

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an ideal 120 response boiler which i think is quite old (we've been living at the house for 3 years and it was there when we moved in) we have been advised that it needs a new fan and that will cost about £300 and due to age should consider replacing it with a worcester which seems to be very popular these days. We have been told that the pressure guage should only go up when central heating is in use not with use of hot water (which works) pressure guage currenlty at 2 after 3 of us being away with no CH or hot water being used it rose to just over 2, our plumber has said he cannot replace the boiler for a couple of weeks as he is busy but that it should be fine, my queestion is at what point on an ideal 120 does the bar pressure becomne dangerous and should the pressure keep rising (even by a tiny amount) if no hot water or central heating are being used and is it rue hot water usage will not affect the bar pressure, is it safe to wait a couple of weeks for new boiler or should i act more quickly?
cheers H

Sponsored Links
If you decide on a Worcester-Bosch go on their website and use their installer search for your local accredited installer, these installers can offer a 5 years manufacturer's warranty. Best to get 3 quotes.

If you needed a new fan then you would have neither heating or hot water.

If your pressure exceeded 3 bar then the Pressure relief valve would dump the water safely, so you should have no fears on that count..

The Response was another of those boilers that looked good on paper but turned out to be a bit of an albatross for its unfortunate owners and yours has done well to live this long.. Time for a new one.

Get three quotes from reputable installers... Worcesters are good, as are Vaillant... Avoid the B&Q type stuff...

thanks for that, v. helpful
just panicked as rubbish with plumbing and have small baby in house, just seems odd that pressure should rise at all after 3 days of no ch or hot water being used

Sponsored Links
Wait and get a new boiler. If the prssure goes above 3 bar the safety valve will open and let the water out.

As said, you do not need a fan if HW is working :rolleyes:

Forget Worcester, go for ATAG, Broag or Vaillant ;)

Could be your filling loop is letting by.

Dump the response as soon as you can, it is a horrible piece of junk and you are likely to get bad repair bills.
I have been installing the WB cdi range for years, and not a single customer is less than fully happy with them.
Very quiet, good performance, and extremely reliable bit of kit.

Wait and get a new boiler. If the prssure goes above 3 bar the safety valve will open and let the water out.

As said, you do not need a fan if HW is working :rolleyes:

Forget Worcester, go for ATAG, Broag or Vaillant ;)

Could be your filling loop is letting by.

Avoid ATAG, Broag and Vaillant boilers as their service backup is pants!
Mind you the broag is a good boiler for what it costs.

How can ATAG service be pants when installers carry out their own warranty repairs, if there are any ;)

Broag, I'm lucky to have very good manufacturers engineers on my patch, but as yet have had no call for them, but I am new to these boilers.

Vaillant totally useless group service engineers and back up, but again, hardly ever had call to use them.

How can ATAG service be pants when installers carry out their own warranty repairs, if there are any ;)

That is great for those who have a good installer working their area, but if you fall out with him, for whatever reason, then what?

What are your customers going to do when you move/retire/win the lottery Dave?

What are they going to do when it packs up over the weekend and you want to have a rest? Or you are down with the flu?

If you have a mainstream boiler, every second plumber will be able to fix it; I have never even seen an atag and don't know a single supplier that carries parts.

It's agreed that worcesters backup is second to none, parts are reasonably priced and they have good customer service.

Sadly their product is overpriced and overrated, without the generous warranty and multi million marketing campaigns and incentives they wouldn't sell many.

Atag have an excellent product but haven't invested in marketing (in the uk at least) to the same extent as worcester so they remain relatively unknown. I'd rather have the Atag myself.

It's agreed that worcesters backup is second to none, parts are reasonably priced and they have good customer service.

Sadly their product is overpriced and overrated, without the generous warranty and multi million marketing campaigns and incentives they wouldn't sell many.

Atag have an excellent product but haven't invested in marketing (in the uk at least) to the same extent as worcester so they remain relatively unknown. I'd rather have the Atag myself.

Worcester is overpriced I have to say, they have put their prices up a few times over the past year or so. With the credit crunch whats the chance of them bringing them back down, probably nil, their all t$ssers.

I doubt it will only be WB that up the price.
The pound has plummeted, is likely to dip further, so anything from abroad will go up in price.
If we had joined the euro, we wouldn't have this problem. Another thing we can thank brown/darling for.

We have found pretty dismal reliability on Worcester-Bs. Yes cust service is good but you shouldn't need it!

Broag cost less, 5 year parts & labour warranty available free, smaller than WB. The 39kW is nice. Very quiet.
Loads of connection options to weather compensation, etc etc if that appeals.

We have found pretty dismal reliability on Worcester-Bs.

Was that on cdi or other models Chris?
I only do cdi's so can not comment on the rest.
If we discount a lightning-damage, I have had one break down on all I have installed.
Maybe I have the magic touch. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

We are all missing the point here. The guys filling loop is passing. Why change his boiler if that is all that's wrong. Not been used for several days and the pressure was rising. No need to change boiler if that's all that's wrong!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back