Ideal Boiler - hot water but no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I think the fault may be with the small box in the cupboard next to the hot water tank and not with the boiler. We have an Ideal Icos boiler and a Horstmann Diadam electrical system to switch the hot water and central heating on and off (and to switch between the two). There is a small white box which accompanies the Horstmann system & has a moveable switch sticking out of the top and this switch moves from left to right depending on whether you have selected hot water or central heating and it sits in the middle if you have both on. At the beginning of the winter it didn't appear to be moving as freely as it had and we could not have the hot water on without the central heating on. This hasn't been a problem through the winter. Now though the hot water comes on (with the switch in the correct position) but the central heating doesn't. The switch was moving over to the correct position for heating yesterday but then would switch itself back over to the correct position for hot water only after a few minutes and you could hear the boiler 'powering down'. Now though the central heating is not going on at all even if I turn the temperature guage up on the boiler. The red light on the Horstmann unit with the main hot water/central heating switches is working and the boiler is not displaying any fault indicator.
I have switched both the boiler and the Horstmann electrical box off and on again and the hot water is still working but no central heating. I am a bit nervous to press the re-set button in case this interferes with the system and we end up with no hot water either. And besides I really do think the fault lies with the small white box (with the small switch sticking out of the top) that accompanies the Horstmann system rather than the boiler itself.
Any help with this would be appreciated as we don't have any other form of heating in the house. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Motor valve! Its failed!

Needs replacement, new head or new motor. Or shaft could have seized!

Tony

Motor valve! Its failed!

Needs replacement, new head or new motor. Or shaft could have seized!

Tony

Great - thanks for that. Is that what is in the small white box then (with the small moveable switch sticking out of the top)?
I have an electrical engineer friend coming over hopefully today, if not tomorrow so if that is the case it should all be good.
Cheers!

I was about to say "thats what friends are for".

But of course that is NOT what friends are for!

Any jobs that I am asked to do by friends are done on exactly the same terms as anyone else apart from perhaps going out of ouse at no extra cost.

I could have a full time job doing free repairs for friends!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I was about to say "thats what friends are for".

But of course that is NOT what friends are for!

Any jobs that I am asked to do by friends are done on exactly the same terms as anyone else apart from perhaps going out of ouse at no extra cost.

I could have a full time job doing free repairs for friends!

Tony

Absolutely! I know what you mean. And we never take advantage! Thanks again....oh and IS that the motor valve then in the small white box?
Ta

The white box and the brass section underneath IS the motor valve.

But it also has a microswitch to turn on the boiler but thats only operated by its own motor and NOT just by the manual lever.

It was out of "hours" and not out of "ouse"!

Tony

The white box and the brass section underneath IS the motor valve.

But it also has a microswitch to turn on the boiler but thats only operated by its own motor and NOT just by the manual lever.

It was out of "hours" and not out of "ouse"!

Tony
That's cool. I got it! And thanks again. I'll let my friend have a look at this too.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back