Ideal Boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sorry i don't have the model just that its by Ideal and was fitted 4 years ago by British Gas (i know that probably doesn't help!) 3 bed semi house

Basically the problem is that we have no power to the boiler but the fuse box switch(main box) hasn't tripped. So we have no heating or hot water. It has a digital display and red on light both aren't working and nothing at all happens - no noise just the sound of silence

The boiler has been fine. Sunday night it seemed a bit noisy but Star Wars was on with surround sound so thought i could have miss heard! Then monday morning it was noisy again, not gurgling but grumbling. Stopped working sometime tuesday - cold when i got home from work

Plumber has (over the phone) recommended changing the 3A fuse which i intend to do tonight (when i've bought one!) but is there any other suggestions as to the problem and solution?

Any advice much appreciated

Harryet

Sponsored Links
If it's a combi it sounds like a M30100. These are very prone to pcb failure.

If changing the 3 amp fuse doesn't cure it I would say it needs a new pcb.

Dave right - model is Ideal Isar m30100

Changing fuse didn't work

Plumber says problem with wire between fuse box and boiler - 220V(?) at box but only 20V at boiler. Advised to get electrician

Electrician says probably PCB gone. Will fit it for us if we can get one or he's going to ask a plumber mate if it can be fixed. (leccy is a mate)

Can you advise anywhere to get a (cheap!) new one? partscenter.co.uk £230.92 + VAT!

Thanks

Harryet

Does any one know if part no 170930 can be replaced with part no`s 173534, 174486 or 174486??

Thanks

harryet

Sponsored Links
Parts center are usually, but not always, the most expensive for parts. Google your pcb and see what comes up.

I can't see why your plumber has passed this on to a sparks, does he know anything about boilers, either of them come to that :eek:

You will have to stick to the pcb that is made for your particular boiler. The newer HE series have different pcb's.

Last one I fitted cost the Customer £330 :cry:

Do you mean that you only have 20 volts going into the boiler or at the board? You should measure at the very least 220 volts at the spur or socket that feeds the boiler, ideally over a load like a lamp or something like that. If it is anything less, get sparky to look at it, usually it is a loose connection, which could create a fire hazard due to arcing. If the wire is completely loose, it would cause a short which would explain the blowing fuse.

I have an Ideal ICOS M3080 that appears to be exhibiting the same problem, I came down this morning to find my boiler not working.

The only sign of life was the light on the main switch!!

I removed the PCB this evening and found the disctinctive, but feint, smell of burning.

Did you smell this?

I am trying to find a good supplier of spares .. any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

Hi - I know I'm posting to an old thread here, but I found this item when trying to find a replacement PCB for an Ideal Isar boiler, and I have some information which might be useful to anyone else searching on this subject

I ended up ordering the new part 173534, not the 170930, which I couldn't find. It is NOT the same, the main difference is that the spark generator is not on the PCB like it is with 170930. However, I then bought the seperate spark generator 173538 and with some home-made wiring connected this to the relevant PCB pins and the ignitor. It works!

If anybody wants to know the wiring hook-up, email me at [email protected].

Hi - I know I'm posting to an old thread here, but I found this item when trying to find a replacement PCB for an Ideal Isar boiler, and I have some information which might be useful to anyone else searching on this subject

I ended up ordering the new part 173534, not the 170930, which I couldn't find. It is NOT the same, the main difference is that the spark generator is not on the PCB like it is with 170930. However, I then bought the seperate spark generator 173538 and with some home-made wiring connected this to the relevant PCB pins and the ignitor. It works!

If anybody wants to know the wiring hook-up, email me at [email protected].

i would just order the proper pcb

The old board for the M30100 has the spark generator on it. The new HE range of boilers has the spark generator off the board, near the flue.

New HE boards are orange and not compatible with the old M30100 series.

I would say always check getting a voltage on red wire back from rocker switch - if its mains voltage then pcb issue...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back