Ideal Boxer C28 boiler losing pressure

Looks like it was a problem with the EV connection hose - thanks Idealman. The metal hose is not in the best condition, it has a few folds/bottlenecks in it. The pressure looks much better when I turn the EV on its side, such that the hose is not folded over in anyway. Must the EV be upright? Could this give a false/meaningless reading if not in its correct position?

Sponsored Links
The expansion vessel provides space for the extra water when the water in the system expands. So it needs to be empty when system is cold and partially filled when system is hot.
The air in the vessel gets compressed and air pressure rises as the water pressure rises. Note you can't compress water but you can compress air.
If the vessel for example is already half full with water then the remaining volume of air is only half of what it should be and when this is compressed the pressure shoots up considerably. Well it would except the PRV comes to the rescue and opens at 3bar.
Recharging the vessel is only half the solution, it must also not contain water for it to function correctly.
As you also know a blocked hose is like having a vessel full with water and there is nowhere for the extra water to go except out through the PRV

Just to close this thread all pressure issues are now resolved. There were two problems. The first problem was that there was not enough charge pressure in the EV. The second problem was that EV hose was damaged (kinked). I would like to thank all contributors who helped me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back