Ideal Classic Boiler fires but won't stay on for too long

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Boiler: Ideal Classic NF (gas)
Age (of boiler): approx 15-16 years. People have been to service and replace bits of it occasionaly. I think the central heating pump was changed a couple of years ago.
Pumped system with indirect hot water heating. Small two-bed house, nothing fancy like different zones. No unreasonable demands on heating system.

For a year or two now the boiler often clicks a lot, sometimes in rapid succession, after firing up. It normally stays lit during the clicking but sometimes would go out and then immediately relight. It didn't seem to affect its overall performance so nothing was done to it.

Recently, the heating and hot water stopped working, The boiler wouldn't fire up when it was supposed to and we had a few cold mornings and cold showers. The 3 port mid position valve was changed (even though it now seems that maybe that wasn't the problem). The guy who changed the valve said that he thought the timer-control was actually faulty as the heating wouldn't come on without the hot-water being on. I changed the timer-control for a new compatible one and now the hot water and heating do come on independently when required. However.......

The boiler is back to doing its clicking thing after firing up AND the boiler will not stay on for a long time, even though the temperature has not reached the room thermostat setting yet.
The radiators do usually get very hot (upstairs and downstairs).
The thermostat dial on the front of the boiler is set quite high (about 5.5 on a scale of 1-6).
Sometimes the radiators are not hot in the morning.
After the boiler has cut out...
a) it can be restarted by dialing the room thermostat down until it clicks off, waiting a second then turning it back up again. However it won't stay on for long though.
b) if left alone it will start up by itself again but won't stay on for long.
c) turning up the boiler thermostat control will allow the boiler to start again for a little while.

I've checked the room thermostat with a multimeter and it seems to be functioning correctly.

It's as though the boiler is getting too hot and is switching itself off until it's cooled a bit. The boiler itself isn't particularly noisy when it runs (doesn't seem to "kettle"). Sometimes after the boiler fires up or shuts down you can hear the sound of water in the pipes and radiators, it's not excessive but can be noticeable.

Any suggestions for anything I could check or what the problem might be?

Many thanks,

Ray

Sponsored Links
Hi, I am encoutering similar problems with my Ideal Classic NF40.
Did you manage to get it sorted? If so, what was the prob?

Searching through other forums the pcb seems to be the prime suspect.

Hi Jeff,

The problem was with the water pump and has been sorted by turning up the speed of it to the highest setting. The water was being heated inside the boiler but not moved away fast enough causing the boiler thermostat to trip which turned it off. This would sometimes happen in quick succession which caused the clicking. Since turning the pump speed up it's been mostly ok. It still clicks occasionaly, but nothing serious.

Hope this helps you.

Ray

Thanks for the feedback Ray.

Not sure if we have the same problem as my boiler doesn't seem to make clicking noise but will check the pump speed anyway.

I will also check other forums to see how they were resolved.

Sponsored Links
Don't think this is an external control fault at all from what you describe.

If it was the external controls, the boiler would remain dead and not attempt to start at all.

You need to get a 'proper RGI' in to check it over as from your symptons it could be one of many gas or safety related parts.

DO NOT have the idiot back who replaced the 3 port valve at any cost :eek:

Hi Dave,

Yeah I got in a proper plumber and it was he who diagnosed the problem with the water pump. He said it probably wasn't worth replacing the pump immediately if running it at a higher speed did the job ok.

Ray

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back