Ideal classic FF2100 Gas boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you help?

This boiler is 7 years old but has been working fine every day since we moved into this house a year ago. However we switched it off when we went on holiday for a week and when we returned the pilot light would not ignite.

Our plumber took off the casing and with the rust present said that the (condensor / heat exchanger?) had been leaking and we needed a new boiler.

Can you give a second opinion? I have two thoughts. Firstly, I can't help thinking the ignition problem must be linked to the boiler being switched off for a week and therefore a relatively trivial problem. Secondly, if it is genuinely a condensor / heat exchanger leak why does this affect the pilot ignition?

Finally, is it cost-effective to replace the part and not the whole boiler. If so, how much is the part likely to cost?

Your opinion is appreciated as we are worried - we don't have the money for a new boiler.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Impossible to comment on whether the HE is leaking without seeing it ourselves.

Whether it is or not, should not have much bearing on the pilot light problem initially.

Get another RGI in to have a look. Does not sound like a DIY job.

sounds like a stitch up. Tell him to take a run and jump.
What happens when you turn it on? Any noises, clicks etc??

Thanks guys.

The ignition makes a very faint zzzzz sound, presumably as opposed to a strong click.

My wife has just told me the plumber knew the two issues were unrelated (you gather I wasn't there when he called) but drew the conclusion the heat exchanger leak did not merit any further work on the ignition problem as the boiler needed replacing.

Sorry for misleading you - I obviously got the wrong end of the stick from my wife.

Assuming the heat exchanger is leaking, coupled with the accepted problem with the ignition can the heat exchanger be replaced and would it be cost effective to do so or do we resign ourselves to accepting we need a new boiler.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm gonna make a reasonable bet the fans stuck or knackered, prob most common fault on a classic :D get in a competent RGI.
A cast iron heat exchanger shouldn't be leaking after 7 years unless the system is full of carp. In any case its worth repairing. I can't see any reason why these boilers shouldn't last 20yrs plus if properly looked after.

The main thing is to get in a competent RGI who's prepared to repair the boiler and not try and flog a new one.

Heat exchanger is about 250 quid parts 300 labour plus vat if it needs it. If the leak is dripping onto the burner it is ID and must be isolated and capped.

If the HE has gone, then as said it will be due to poor system water quality.

Will have to be powerflushed if new HE is fitted.

Guys,

I think the writing is on the wall for my boiler. My dilemma now is what to replace it with and how much I can expect to pay for labour to have it installed.

One gas engineer says I should invest in a heat only boiler (my reading up on this, via Which magazine points me in the direction of Glow worm Ultracom 38 HXI Condensing boiler) and a seperate Chaffateux boiler for water. My friend agrees with that. However. another gas engineer has said what is the point in that - modern day combi condensing boilers are perfectly adequate, even given the size of my house. My wife agrees with that!

Can you advise me over combi / heat only boilers if I give you some information? :

1/ Large 5 bedroom 1920's stone built semi-detached with big single paned windows and high ceilings.
2/ One bath
3/ 12 radiators situated in 12 rooms
4/ Cold feed washing machine
5/ Dishwasher
6/ Shower operated from hot water provided by the hot water cylinder
7/ Before it broke down our heat and water was provided by an Ideal Classic ff2100 boiler which provided hot water via the water cylinder (presumably it is self-evident that there is an electric emergen heater back-up)
8/ The household consists of 2 adults and 3 kids which may extend to 5 kids

(a) Are there any combi boilers which would be appropriate for a house this size and our requirements. If so, what KW model should I be looking out for and can you recommend any particular make or model?
(b) If a combi boiler is appropriate, how much (excluding the boiler and accessories) could I expect to pay in labour for installation?
(c) Is it a big job converting from my current boiler to a combi (I would want to retain cylinder for emergen heater back-up)?
(d) If a combi is not appropriate, can you recommend a good make / model heat only condensing boiler and what KW model should I be looking for (I have heard that I should get something a bit smaller than my house requirements to maximise efficiency through the condensing effect?)
(e) Would the labour charge be any less for getting a replacement heat only boiler compared with a combi? How much labour can I expect to pay for installation of a heat only boiler if I got the boiler and accessories myself?

Finally, our preference probably would be for a combi boiler provided it is not significantly much more expensive and that it is up to the job.

Your help in this matter really is appreciated.

Regards,

Waylon

I'm very surprised that its come to this. If I owned a classic I would keep it going, even if it meant a new heat exchanger, it will be more reliable and last longer than the average modern condenser. But...anyway...your best bet for replacement is to put in another heat only boiler like you have and keep the cylinder(assuming it satisfies your current demand). The ultracom is a decent boiler, but 38kw sounds too big. 24 or 30 maximum, either way it can be easily range rated down by your installer to meet the demand.
Also the system will almost certainly need powerflushing seeing what happened to the last boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back