Ideal classic FF50 pilot light not coming on, all rest OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi please help ;o)

I thought I had hot water other day as clicked the water on and heard all noise as usual... only thing was it wasnt getting warm, and even though everything else appears to be working, the pilot light is not sparking on to heat anything.. so got everything I think apart from the spark. It was OK other day it just stopped.
Also, on looking into problems... the RCD switch was tripped out on turning the immersion socket on. So, not really used that before... or had the need, but was investigating... any help please very appreciated.
The thermostat clicks it on upstairs... but no heat of water or rads.
The pump is spinning when I listen to it.
Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Does the boiler make any sound? Can you hear the fan turning?

You really need to check that the boiler is getting 240v on the switch live terminal. For this you will need and know how to use a multimeter.

Post back with what the boiler does when you switch it on. Get the controls calling for Htg and HW and then listen to what the boiler does.

Hope this helps

yeah fan seems to be buzzing inside, and everything else making usual noises, hence thinking I had a warm bath other day only to find it cold!
all apart from pilot light firing up...
thanks

Sponsored Links
Pedro, do you really think that you should be suggesting that an owner should be doing gas related work?

Dont you think that it should be done by someone qualified to work with gas?

since this morning, I have had someone out and they said it the fan its bearings a going, and it wasnt going enough to set the pilot going.. so as a temp measure he has oiled it.. (but I do realise its prob only temp and he's giving me a price for new fan fitting.
But since he's been I had thermostat set at 15 with heatinf switch on, cam back to red hot rads. which shouldnt have been on, as its a lot warmer than 15. So, not sure whether it was because the integral boilder themostat was set to the top (6) or not, as it had been moved from lower... but cant see that overriding the house hold thermostat????
At least I'm getting warm water and warmth now!. but any answers to last bit would be useful. thanks all.

It is probably worth saying that the body responsible for 'policing' those in business whose job involves work on gas appliances, i.e. the Gas Safe register (successor to Corgi run by Capita) would need to prove competency the following ACS qualifications,
CCN 1 - Domestic Core Gas Safety,
then completion of the relevant appliance specific training, in this case CEN 1 for central heating boilers,
and finally if that is not enough from this year another hoop was introduced for those working on boilers - the CPA-1 the combustion performance analysis assessment.
Engineers have to submit themselves for re-assessment every 5 years on CCN 1 in order to remain on the register. Also these are not just paper qualifications, an aspiring gas engineer has to be able demonstrate a portfolio of supervised work over a period of time and will be categorised in respect of their relevant, or lack of, experience and made to satisfy various requirements based on this. Then he will be assessed throughly involving practical tasks and written questions (multiple choice) over a number of days.

The bottom line is that this regime is to safeguard the public from being exposed to potentially fatally dangerous standards of workmanship.

It is expensive and as you can imagine onerous to obtain these qualifications, and easy to check if the engineer concerned should officially be working on your appliance, i.e. has these qualifications.

A visit to Gas Safe Register website is all that is needed, here competencies of the engineer are listed, along with a 'mugshot'. Both businesses and individual engineers can be checked. The site will even provide a listing of local engineers to do such work if you put in your post code. NB but drill down through the options and check that they can work on your appliance category. (If you are not confident about navigating the site there is a number to ring instead to do these checks)

Sorry to be OTT on this, but Tony was correct, it was wrong to proffer advice on this topic. I hope this dissuades you from 'having a go' at the repair yourself.

However, good luck with getting a decent repair done by a competent engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back