Ideal Classic LXFF 280 - which component to replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an 11 year old ideal classic boiler that is failing to spark into life. When this started a couple of weeks ago, I got it going again by removing a flexible tube from the fan assembly and blowing into it (the other end goes to the pressure switch). This kick starts the fan and reconnecting the tube gets things up and running again. The fan does sound a bit noisy.

Now I'm having to do this every day which suggests something is on its way out but I'm not sure whether to replace the fan, the pressure switch or both.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've got a real good idea......I suggest for your own and your familys safety you cal a RGI in to fix your boiler.You are messing with safety devices and you've obviously had the front cover off and you are out of your comfort zone.

Thanks. I understand your point and concern and wouldn't hesitate to call out an RGI if it was gas related. In fact, when the problem first arose I did call one out and he got it going this way.

I'm pretty comfortable replacing these components, I just don't want to spend money on something that isn't broken ... so which of the two would it be?

Thanks again.

Site rules prevent us from giving DIY advise on Gas related matters - and this IS gas related.
The fact you have removed the case (therefore the case seal) and are messing aroung with an important safety device on the boiler - without knowing if its working correctly or not scares me quite frankly. :eek:

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back