Ideal Classic NF 40

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an ideal classic boiler that will not light up.
It was working fine until 8hrs ago. The last thing it had done to it was replacing the pump, but that was last month!
I had it lit once today, but it lasted half an hour only.
The pilot light wont come on, although the pumps running ok, the radiators
have no air so im stumped to what the problem could be.
Anyone any ideas?

regards. :cry:

Sponsored Links
Try the obvious first, open flap on front of boiler and make sure black on/off switch is on, turn up t/stat knob to 6, try the overheat reset button ( a small red button situated on right hand side of pod behind front flap).

If pump running then system calling for heat, does the fan run?, if not def blr fault either potentiometer, fan or pcb fault. If above checks do not get it to work better get an engineer in to check. Parts are not that expensive for the classic.

The switch is on and thermo set at 6. I cant see any reset button though.
I've looked under the cover for it too, but no joy.
seems like im gonna have to get expert help like you say.
Thank you very much for replying to my post!

Look to the right of the on/off button, around the side of the pcb module, a small red elongated thing sticking out, push it and see if boiler kicks back to life.

Sponsored Links
no, not got a red anything tp push :cry:
I cant get anybody to come out either, one guy said it would be £180
just for stepping over my threshold!
Were Bloody freezing in here....
All Im getting when I switch on is a "click" and then nothing, no fan, or anything.

not sure, it just says Ideal Classic Fanned Flue Gas Boiler.
It runs my CH and Hotwater.
I know it has a header tank, cause I had to unblock it when I changed the pump last month.

Sounds a little expensive to me, where in the uk are you?

Im in warrington. cheshire.
If the system is full of air, ie, has not been refilled properly, would that
stop the boiler from lighting?
I drained the whole system last month when I replaced the pump.

Yes if boiler fired with system full of air it may well have gone to overheat, which was why I was asking you to press overheat reset button.

ok, I have done a little research for you and I am guessing that you have an older design of Classic boiler.

Your overheat reset button should be positioned just above the air pressure switch( a plastic device with 2 tubes attached). Look for a small red button just above.

You may need to remove the controls assy, 2 screws and slide towards you, Don't remove boiler casing- the bottom panel can be removed without the main cover.

:( no...I removed the air pressure switch like you said, but there still no red button.
btw these boilers were put in by the local council long b4 I bought the house.
I did notice one thing tho, the last successful time it lit, there was a small
sensor light glowing.
I could see it through a small hole between the no: 2 and 3 of the thermostat dial.
I have neva seen that lit b4.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back