Ideal Elise - or something similar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of specifying the bits and bobs required for a house refurbishment and am on the lookout for a replacement heat only boiler. This is to replace a rather decrepit Myson Apollo 30b fitted to an open vented pumped system. fitting a sealed system is out of scope for this project.

Ideally I want a boiler that is designed to be enclosed within a 720mm(h)x300mm(d) x500mm(w) kitchen wall cupboard - can anyone recommend the Ideal Elise HE?

I notice other Ideal boilers have received a kicking from some posts on this forum, are these issues model related or more specifically the manufacturer?

Cheers,
Ben.

Sponsored Links
stay well clear of any ideal.

he elise is basically an isar/icos. neither are particularly good boilers in design or reliablility.

i can recommend it.... if you ask nicely.

but id be lying. :LOL: .

if you are doing refurb and are ripping the place apart, why not put the boiler somewhere usefull like the loft or garage if you have one. saves on valuble cupboard space too. dont spec the boler just cos it fits.

ideal boilers of the last few years have been shockingly bad, this new range might be better, but I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for a boiler coming from a long line of disasters.
How about a glow worm flexicom hx? fits the size, its a good price and its also got the option of rear flue outlet.

Sponsored Links
I take these comments on board - thanks.

Unfortunately, I can't site the boiler in the garage because there is a large chunk of garden that separates it from the house.

The loft is certainly an option though, will have to look into that one - I'm not ripping the entire house apart I wonder how costly it would be to run the gas pipe straight up the (internal) wall through bedroom 2 and into the loft?!

The house is a 2 bed semi, soon to be cavity insulated with replacement double glazed B rated windows. I noted that someone posted on another boiler thread that German is best, any recommendations in light of this?

Cheers,
Ben.

I'll have a think about that - would definitely be the cheapest, but might not look too good?

Cheers,
Ben.

a glowworm flexicom will fit in your cupboard and is a perfectly good boiler.

stay well clear of any ideal.

he elise is basically an isar/icos. neither are particularly good boilers in design or reliablility.

Complete rubbish......

99% of calls coming into Ideal are down to poor servicing from external engineers or poor installation.

Elise is a decent boiler, and its an Icos derivative...

Any boiler if properly installed and serviced will last.

just how do you THOROUGHLY clean the heat exchanger on a responce then ? :LOL:

sorry but like potterton/baxi ideal have really gone down the toilet since the HE/CONDENSOR era kicked off.

Response is different kettle of fish nowt like ISAR/ICOS!

true but ive seen loadsa faults witht the icos isar range too... lots o pcbs and fan harness. nothing to do with servicing or install issues. ive got my bg blinkers and you've got your ideal ones :D , but have a look atv the front page and the amount of queries with faulty ideal boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back