Ideal Etype 100N boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have Ideal Etype 100N boiler with balanced flu.
Fitted 1980. told i can no longer get spare parts ?

have to molly coddle the system. radiators upstairs not very hot. downstairs v.hot. on 135 at stat.

i understand original installer ? T'd off from flow to landing toilet before going to cylinder.

Had trouble with boiling over. plumber extended vent pipe. no good. consulting engineer put on safety valve and added bypass valve between flow and return. works ok but rads upstairs only warm. towel rail gets very hot and bathroom rad. Bathroom rad comes on with domestic hot water and gets hotter if i put heating on.

any ideas about getting rads upstairs hotter. Added Fernox Feb 2008.

do i need a new boiller? below are test results.is he right
test: O2 % =7.9, CO2 % = 7.4, COppm = 202, flue in degrees C =265.8
inlet degrees C= 15.8, NETT degrees C= 250
EFF (C) = 86.8, losses =13.2, XAIR%= 60.7
CO/CO2 = 0.0027
PRS mbar = 0.00 not sure what all this means

i have a co alarm and so far no problem.

if i change the boiler i think i need to investigate and take up pipes to find out exactly the problem or should i leave things alone and wait for the boiler to fail?

Sponsored Links
Was the system ok previously,or have you just moved in. It is likely that your problem lies in the system, not the boiler. How did it previously perform?

The Etype was a good boiler in its day, Gas control, Boiler Stat, Pilot burner, Thermocouple and pilot supply tube are still availible as spare parts but main burners flue parts and heat exchangers are not, so it's probably not worth spending too much money on, I am concerned about 220ppm C.O, this seems a bit high and should be investigated if the boiler is dirty then a good clean should do the trick the burners have to be stripped down and "de-linted" however if the burners are damaged, cracked or worn, then the boiler would need replacing.
This boiler should recieve urgent attention by a RGI Service Engineer

as for your radiators the pipe layout should be checked for correctness the pump may be worn and not producing sufficient head & flow and the system may have been rebalanced to get the downstairs rads hot? ;)

is there an " anti gravity" / "gravity circulation check valve" fitted?

Sponsored Links
system installed when we moved in 30 years ago.

has not been good past 5 years. just put up with it.
used convector heaters as required.

thanks

thanks for your advice.

you are probably right. will get my engineer back asap.

do you think i can wait until after this cold spell?

last time he came i could not get the pilot light to work after he left. the wind kept on blowing it out.

am frightened to get any one else. he has looked after the boiler past 20 years.

I will ask him about the motorised valves. I did not think of that.

thanks a lot.

Having some very hot rads and others too cool implies its not properly balanced.

Has he tried balancing them?

Whats the colour of the system water?

It may well have become rather sludged up recently if it was reasonable good for the first 10 years.

An indicator of a very bad sludge problems is cold bottom middle !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back