Ideal HE12 boiler "thumping"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just moved into a 14 year old house, and one of the problem I need to get fixed is with the boiler.

It works fine.. it gives heat and hot water.. But when it starts up it sometimes starts "thumping" over and over and over.

It does this for about 30 seconds.. Stops.. And then starts up again and lights normally.

The thumping can be felt if you touch the boiler, and sounds like a mini-explosion. Almost like its a build up of gas which ignites and blows itself out and repeats...

The seller of the house had the boiler serviced and said that whilst it makes odd noises, its been checked out.. But I can't believe this is "normal".

As this is intermittent (I can go days without it happening) its going to be hard to show someone. Is this a known issue? Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I should do?

Jon

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Sorry, I have no idea what it can be :oops:; but next time it happens, you could record a video as evidence to show your engineer?

I've no idea either but have the same boiler and it most certainly isn't normal. The first fire-up of the day is noisier than subsequent fire-ups though.

I've no idea either but have the same boiler and it most certainly isn't normal. The first fire-up of the day is noisier than subsequent fire-ups though.

I have just been invited to a WhatsApp group of my estate and asked them about this.. They all have the same boiler and many have experienced the same thing.. Apparently it could be a blocked condenser pipe, which should drain into the sink plumbing.. But typically in mine it goes into the wall.. So I might have to get a "man" out to look at it...

Sponsored Links
Mine's chased in wall, only to resurface under sink's plumbing, so may be worth a look there.

Mine's chased in wall, only to resurface under sink's plumbing, so may be worth a look there.

You would think so since the sink is only 2 units away.. But there is nothing there.. Just a standard trap and washing machine connection...

I have had the whole thing appart when I moved in as it was leaking and there is nothing else connected..

Weird.

Hmmm. Mine's under sink plinth though. Might be worth whippping that off for a look.

Hmmm. Mine's under sink plinth though. Might be worth whippping that off for a look.

I am going to look again but I don't think there is anything there... Only last week I fitted a new washing machine and cut bigger holes to get the pipes under the sink and there was nothing there...

The back side of the boiler is towards the downstairs toilet and in the corner (behind the boiler) there is a column (perhaps 8x8') which I guess hides all the pipework.. My assumption it in there.. But since the waste pip run through the utility room, directly under the boiler, it makes no sense for it to be in another room.

So I am going to keep looking.

I am officially a dumb ass... It was right there.. I had been looking at it and never put 2 and 2 together.

It comes from the wall, right behind the sink 'trap'... But thats the good news.. The bad news is (like most of the drainage in the house) its welded.. So impossible to get into.. Even the trap doesn't have a compression fitment so its totally welded together.

So I am going to have to look carefully at how to break into this to see whats inside and then reconnect it using compression fittings for future maintenance

Jon

Yay! (Sort of!) I only found mine was there as I'm gutting the kitchen units for a refit. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Boiler is trying to tell you it needs looked at.
Better get it done like yesterday before you end up causing some serious damage

Attachments

• 9E7979C5-43A9-4F9F-AEF0-4E39673FC918.jpeg
    9E7979C5-43A9-4F9F-AEF0-4E39673FC918.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 91DC80AB-53C7-4A1A-A5CA-A4DC87C4CB02.jpeg
    91DC80AB-53C7-4A1A-A5CA-A4DC87C4CB02.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 88
  • 46E4E501-61F9-4A6B-A834-CF5BF725BB38.jpeg
    46E4E501-61F9-4A6B-A834-CF5BF725BB38.jpeg
    720.5 KB · Views: 94
  • EDCD88F1-3F3D-471E-8899-8A822246C612.jpeg
    EDCD88F1-3F3D-471E-8899-8A822246C612.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 54211EE9-300E-4C0F-9AFA-462E0BC88695.jpeg
    54211EE9-300E-4C0F-9AFA-462E0BC88695.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 90
Just use a wet vac on the boiler end of the condi pipe, no danger of damaging pipe.

I am going to have a look tonight.. But I am not sure how I would get a vac in to do the sucking.. I assume all of the pipes are ridged and arn't going to move out of the way.

I have looked at the service manual and you have to fill the drain with water before using the boiler, and to do this you have to pour a cup full of water into the flue turret (which i doubt I can get too), so I am not convinced this will be an easy job.

Edit: Ignore that.. Section 44 of the manual covers exactly how you get the 'trap' off and how you clean it... You can get to it, so if its blocked I can 'suck' (or blow) out whats there without disconnecting anything under the sink...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back