Ideal HE12 boiler "thumping"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Disappointing news… it just did its “thumping” thing again…. So its not fixed….

Just to give another update on this.. Its still happening and I am no closer to a fix.. Although I have captured a video.

I no longer think that its a gas/ignition problem.. Instead I think its "air"

When I first noticed this issue, I am 90% sure it was at startup.. After the first visit from the engineer (Whilst waiting for parts), it still happened on startup.. But also when the boiler was running too.. Whether this was new, or just something I had now noticed as I was paying more attention I dont' know

After the Fan/Electrodes were changed it no longer happens at startup.. So I am still willing to believe there was an ignition problem which is now fixed.

But the thumping now is when the boiler is running... And I am pretty sure it happens when the boiler is stopping...

I have spent more and more time watching the boiler, and I am pretty sure I know when this is going to happen.. The chain of events is

1. Boiler running normally
2. Gurgling sounds
3. Thumping (perhaps 10-15 times)
4. More Gurgling
5. Boiler stops (I believe normally and not because of a fault).

So I think that as the system winds down and the boiler stops it triggers this thumping issue.. And I am pretty sure its not a gas thing.. But water/Air.

Now I have captured the entire event on video I hope the engineer might know whats wrong... But as it may not even be a problem with the boiler, does anyone have any thoughts? Could it be an air lock of some kind? And if so, whats the best way to release/purge this?

Does anyone have any further thoughts on this?

Jon

Sponsored Links
If it’s gurgling, then I would suspect condensate issue, I know you have addressed this, but something could have been overlooked. Might be worth getting Ideal out for a fixed price repair?

I assume the boiler you have is a Logic HE12

Did the repairer carry out flue gas analysis. I would always leave printout of the results with end user. gas compositions can tell a fair bit. Flow and return temperatures can also be useful in fault location.

Getting Ideal out would be better call then someone who may not be up to speed with fault location. Not suggesting present guy falls in that category as one needs to be in front of the boiler for a positive diagnoses.

2-4 is not normal operation. When you say gurgling, do you mean like kettle when reaches final stages of heating water or like burp or fog horn noise

Thumping would suggest boiler overheating where flow and return Temperatures would show if that is the case. Lack of proper service as indicated in the manual can exhibit some of the described symptoms

Last edited:
I assume the boiler you have is a Logic HE12

Did the repairer carry out flue gas analysis. I would always leave printout of the results with end user. gas compositions can tell a fair bit. Flow and return temperatures can also be useful in fault location.

Getting Ideal out would be better call then someone who may not be up to speed with fault location. Not suggesting present guy falls in that category as one needs to be in front of the boiler for a positive diagnoses.

2-4 is not normal operation. When you say gurgling, do you mean like kettle when reaches final stages of heating water or like burp or fog horn noise

Thumping would suggest boiler overheating where flow and return Temperatures would show if that is the case. Lack of proper service as indicated in the manual can exhibit some of the described symptoms
I think you'll find it's a Icos not a Logic.

I think you'll find it's a Icos not a Logic.

pictures I posted were from the icos range
Regardless, similar symptoms despite the model. Over the years have found service as stated in the manual is seldom carried out. Manufacturers say a FGA check is not a service, but that is exactly what is carried out by some and choose to call that a service which it is not

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back