Ideal icos HE -boiler seems to have died

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
over the weekend the boiler in my new Barratt house seems to have packed in.

The control / timer unit on the wall for the central heating is lit up and thermostat clicks as it should, but the boiler does not respond at all.

There are no status lights on the front of the boiler, and nothing happens when you press the reset button.

The initial engineer sent out said it was likely electrical and he would have to get an electrician.
The electrician said its not electrical, looks like its something within the boiler that has gone.

I've read on this site that the PCB is quite a common component to go, could this be the case?
No signs of life from the boiler at all, no sound, no lights, nothing...

Sponsored Links
Between the boiler engineer and the electrician there is at least one stupid person!

I would guess its a boiler engineer without enough skill to do the simplest of electrical checks on the boiler.

As its presumably under someone's guarantee you should be able to get it repaired but just keep up the pressure to get somebody who is competent.

Tony

Thanks for the reply.
I did wonder about the point in Barratt sending me someone to sort out my boiler who wasn't actually qualified to open it up and have a look.. :rolleyes:

Stupidly, I'd forgotten about the 12 month service, its been 14 months since installation and I hadn't got it done.
Barratt won't repair it under warranty until its serviced, but British Gas have said they can't service a boiler which isn't working. So I'm in a bit of a loop at the moment.

Have got a corgi plumber coming around later to have a look at it. If its not too expensive I may just get him to fix it rather than hanging around for Barratt to get themselves into gear.

Check the pcb fuse on the right side of black pcb container. If ok then it will need a new pcb. Pcb will not be affected by servicing or lack of it. Try a call to Ideal direct and give them the serial no.

Out of warranty pcb will be around £310 local, £210 Ideal fixed price charge.

Barratts, like most house builders are looking for an easy life, rather than looking after you :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Last Icos I was called out to with these symptoms was dead because the power plug had been pulled ever so slightly out, worth a check under the boiler first to make sure its in fully, give it a wiggle!

I called out somebody from reactfast to try and get it done quickly as Barratt were initially not being very cooperative and my days off are limited.

After some testing, it appeared likely it was the PCB.
As its an expensive component, I was advised to get it done under the warranty. (thanks for that advice)

After some further phonecalls, I managed to get an Ideal engineer today who turned up with PCB in hand and changed it.

Boiler now seems to be working fine and has been heating the house up for several hours quite happily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back