Grant Boiler seems "Dead"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Grant Multipass Sealed Boiler from 2003 running on oil. I didn't notice that the water pressure was almost (possible at) 0. I've got the pressure back up to 1 but now the boiler is dead. The fuse in the main house fuse box marked "heating" has not tripped. The fuse in the power supply next to the boiler's timer is working and the settings/timer is on too.

But when I switch the boiler main ON/OFF button - nothing happens.

The reset button is not lit and nothing happens when I press it. I've pressed the emergency thermostat reset button too.

It just seems dead. Are there any other buttons I should be looking for? There seems nothing else to press. But there is no sound and no light comes on when I turn the boiler ON.

Help! It's cold up here.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Look for an overheat trip switch. It may on the underside of the top control panel above the burner. Or a little black cap near the stat which you unscrew and puch the button.

I've done that. (I called it the emergency thermostat switch but yes it is called the overheat.) it unscrews and I've pushed it. Still nothing. Not a sound, not a light.

Only thing is to check to see if power is getting to the boiler. If no power at boiler it must be before that on the contolling programmer/ motorised valves.

Sponsored Links
How do I check if power is getting to the boiler? Like I said, the boiler makes no sound and the light remains off. But the fuse next to the control box/timer is fine and the control box is on.

How do you check if power is getting to the boiler?

What motorised valves should I check?

You can check with a volt stick to see if it lights up without having to go into the wiring. If not it is a multimeter to check to see if power going into the boiler or out of the timer to valves at the wires. If still no luck engineer time.
ps is the lockout light on the control box on the burner at the bottom front of the boiler? if it is press it.

With Cold weather on the way, I would pay an Oil Engineer to fix it !! don't delay - cos boiler service engineers are going to be in high demand once the cold weather hits! ;)

If light is off then no power is getting to boiler so must be a problem in the controls. As boilerman suggests,get someone in pronto before everyone else wants them.

In Aberdeenshire they may well be grounded by the snow if not today then tomorrow!

I am surprised that anyone risks having no heating at the coldest time of the year!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back